Ultimate Subaru Message Board

auto trans swap

Mechanical_misfit

im looking for info on a automatic trans swap for my 93 loyal sedan. it is a 1.8 stock fuel injected hot rod.

It has the stock 3 speed auto fwd, and it works great, but with the highway driving i do, it would be nice to have a 4 speed

I have a good 4 speed auto from an 85 xt. I also have the xt's axels.

I want to put the 4 speed trans into my loyal, and I need to know if it will work. I know it will bolt up, but im worried about the electrical and about needing a different computer.

any good advice would be great. I Plan on swapping for a 5 speed stick some were down the road, but it won't be for a while because im still looking for the trans and an xt6 clutch.

john is saying the 85 XT never came with a 4EAT transmission.

there's a number of reasons why you might want to consider not doing this swap. the 3AT and 4EAT aren't similar. they are completely different. that's going to require an entire TCU wiring harness as well as probably changes to your engine - i believe the 4EAT is going to need throttle sensor input that your 3AT equipped stock engine may not have. that would be easy probably to figure out, but even still swapping and splicing an entire 4EAT wiring harness sounds horrific.

that's a ton of work for a really old 4EAT that's been sitting around and for a car that's not really worth much.

it would be far simpler to buy a car with a 4EAT in it (GL-10 wagon, XT,???)...or heck a legacy/impreza and sell yours. if you can do a trans swap like this you can buy a legacy/impreza for chump change that needs work and fix it. but that would be crazy.......nicer car, safer car, more reliable engine...i've been offered legacy's for free before that needed engine/trans replaced, which you can do. tear it up!

Heck, if you're going to go that far and want to keep the loyale body style, what about swapping in a whole EJ22 w/ 4EAT setup? That way you'd at least have a whole engine and drivetrain package that goes together.

This is the good idea, and what I wil be doing to my 84 3spd 4wd Sedan. No

It's really the only way, the TPS from the SPFI EA82 doesn't output in the range the 4spd TCU will want. Plus you probably didnt' get the flexplate needed to bolt to the larger Torque Converter. Not to mention an Adapter plate.

Swap a whole EJ engine and trans from an automatic legacy or imp, that way you get all matched wiring, and no adapter plate needed.

And if the 4spd is from and 85 XT, it's not a 4spd. If it really is a 4spd, it's not from an 85. Maybe an 88 or 89.