Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gettin' back into it- EA82T 4EAT

I'm picking up an 89 GL wagon, EA82T with the four speed auto, but it has problems. Namely, it has no gears. The shifter doesn't seem to be connected to anything. I figure for what I got this thing for, even if it needs a tranny, it's not that big of a deal.

Are there any big issues I should look for on this car, or anything beyond what seems like a broken linkage?

The main goal is to put together a medium-range family vehicle that can handle some weather, two adults, two car seats, and three dogs. I live at the end of a dirt road in rural Idaho now, and they don't really plow it. The nearest crossroad gets plowed since the school bus runs down it, but that's about 1/2 mile away. I know this road will be nasty, especially in the spring.

This would be replacing a Wagoneer as a going-to-town car.

If this thing is fixable, it'll fill that role quite well. Eventually throw some Pugs on it for better tire selection, and take it all over the place.

If it's not fixable for a reasonable cost, it'll be a good running EA82T, nice gray interior, and fairly decent body that'll make me back some of the money.

If you know or it looks like either the engine or transmission has been replaced then the internal transmission pump has most likely been damaged and the transmission is junk. Easy test is to pull one of the ATF cooler lines and crank the engine. No ATF then it is the pump. Linkage is no more then a cable. Don't toss the transmission Xmember because it is unique to the 4EAT. Real good chance this also has the LSD in the rear. Once owned a 90 turbo wagon with the 4EAT. Nice combination.

I have the same combo in my 89 GL Turbo.

I ended up installing a lowered geared 4eat from a legacy.

It requires removing the front diff/TQ housing from the EA trans and installing the Legacy 3.9 diff into it, then bolting the EA bell to the Legacy trans.

Here's the thread

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84923&highlight=4eat