Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 82 - No start / No spark

It sounds like you are gaining on the problem, at least you have spark now where as you didn't have it before. It was running before this problem happened so hopefully it will run now that the ignition is working again. Try spraying some starter fluid into the intake to see if that will get the engine fired up.

Gloyale-

Thanks for hitting me in the head with the obvious! As it happens I had been using the same cap and rotor.

Unfortunately swapping them out for new parts has had no effect.

Cougar-

Actually, no. If you see my first post the silly thing seems to stumble on occasion. Just not enough spark to really count. So I'm no closer now than I ever was, just more money spent...

No, that wasn't it either.

I finally sprayed some fuel into the intake and it ran for a moment. Subsequently I have the car running, and just drove it a few miles.

So I don't know. It could have been that I replaced the faulty part somewhere along the way, and the car had sat so long and wasn't getting fuel. (car died in August)

I don't believe it was fuel all along, but it may have been. Really odd that I couldn't find spark from the coil, and replacing it fixed it for a day.

Or it may be that the car is trying to lure me far from home so it can leave me stranded again! <Ala Christine!>

I will finish up with wires, air and fuel filters, and see how many more miles I can put on the old gal. 180,000 now, should be good for another 60k.

Thanks for hanging with me and for the answers to my questions!

Scott

(car died in August)

Now wait just a minute here - you never told us that!! Yeah, it could very well have had a fuel related issue, as well as the weak spark...

geez...:rolleyes:

Cars that sit for extended periods without a fuel stabilizer added are VERY difficult to start again - even with a fuel stabilizer it takes quite a bit of cranking to get them going again...

Full disclosure of the conditions of the problem is VERY helpful...

But regardless, glad you got her going anyway. :)

I've been fiddling with the thing, off and on, for the past three + months. If it is fuel related it has nothing to do with old gas. I have vehicles that start right up on two year old gas without stabilizer. Not the best storage method, granted. Fogging oil or OMC engine tune is the way to go for storage.

But this problem started on fresh gas, and it now runs ok (for the moment) on the same gas. I don't believe that contributed.

With an electric fuel pump she should never have been starved for gas, unless the filter is plugged. And if that is the case - silly me...