Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 Forester, 200k miles. :banana: Smelled oil and found I was at least 1 quart low. Got the oil changed and the mechanic said there is an oil leak, but the car needs to be cleaned up to see where it is coming from. He believes it is the rear main seal.

So first I know I need to get the car underneath cleaned. And the engine compartment.

IF it is the rear main seal, what then?

I have a manual trans. and it is not needing a clutch yet. Can I get just the seal replaced w/out the clutch? Or go ahead and get it all done? It is the original clutch.

01 Forester, 200k miles. :banana: Smelled oil and found I was at least 1 quart low. Got the oil changed and the mechanic said there is an oil leak, but the car needs to be cleaned up to see where it is coming from. He believes it is the rear main seal.

So first I know I need to get the car underneath cleaned. And the engine compartment.

IF it is the rear main seal, what then?

I have a manual trans. and it is not needing a clutch yet. Can I get just the seal replaced w/out the clutch? Or go ahead and get it all done? It is the original clutch.

First off, there is a good chance it's a combination of the rear main seal and the seperator plate. If you are having one fixed, you should have them both done. The seperator plate is an obvious access plate that is right next to the seal. These often leak, especially if you have an earlier year car. (They were plastic on some years)

As for the clutch, I would have it replaced. If you really are at 200k miles and it's original, it's bound to be due soon. You are looking at about 2-3 hours of labor just to get to it and put it back together. Since it has to come out to replace the rear main seal you would theoretically be saving $120-$180 ($60 an hour labor) when it does need to be replaced.

Just my $0.02

Keith

Wow the original clutch at 200k miles? im impressed....if the leak does happen to be coming from the rear main seal...they will most likely pull the transmission....while you are in there i would replace the clutch assembley and also reseal the rear seperator plate and replace the plate with an updated metal one....however i would prob. put money on the leak being the seperator plate and not the rear main seal...they rarely leak on these cars....

the seperator plate is behind the clutch and flywheel on the back of the engine...you will have to pull the trans or engine to get to either the rear main or seperator plate...they are literally like right next to each other behind the flywheel....if you do end up pulling the transmission to fix this oil leak i would definately replace the clutch assembly it has to come out anyway.....

Pull the tranny, alot less liability for something to go wrong on the way back in or out. Replace the rear main and new updated seperater plate with the new udated bolts kit as well. Since the tranny is out replace the clutch and have the fly wheel turned and put it all back together. And like others have said it is more likely the seperator plate then the rear main.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the engine cleaned and found the leak! It is a valve cover gasket!

verify the leak first. this is a lot of discussion about really expensive work for a "maybe". if the guy isn't familiar with subarus and didn't look at it closely this could easily be something else.