Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to change lock cylinder

I don't know much about the STD's, but i've done this twice before, both on GL wagons with much success.

Expose the steering column/Ignition switch area by removing the plastic pieces above and below.

Remove the two tiny phillips head screws that hold the ignition switch into the left side of the column. Pull the switch from the column and set it aside for now.

On the right side, remove the lock cylinder cover (reads Lock, Acc, etc.) by pushing it off with a small screwdriver. After that is removed you'll see the cylinder.

Now i've had one simply pull right out, and

the other i took a sturdy screwdriver and shoved it into the cylinder, as if it were a key. Destroyed the tumblers and picked the metal bits out.

If you already have a new cylinder to put in, you'll notice the brass colored piece about an inch long. Stick this piece in your lock cylinder and guide it through the center hole, (which i believe is the steering wheel lock mechanism?) while lining up the ignition switch's slotted plastic piece. It may take some time to get it right, but it's not bad.

Close it up, test it and tighten 'r down. Good to go.

I might add, that on my '84 GL, there was a blue and yellow wire under the cover that i unplugged, now the horn button operates the hatch light and so forth, but starting with a screwdriver gets old after a while:rolleyes:

There's probably a better method, but this works for me ...:Flame: