Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am looking at purchasing a wrecked (not really wrecked, just doesn't start). 92 subaru legacy. I am only really interested in the engine and harness. (its an automatic and no LSD), to swap into my 87 GL. I would part it out for a few weeks than just scrap it. How much do you guys think I should pay for it considering it doesn't start, and no way of really checking why it doesn't start. (Like playing Blackjack in vegas:lol:).

oh and what yrs were the EJ22's non interference?

Edited by killshot_kustom

By wrecked, do you mean in an accident? I always look for cars that have body damage when buying a used junkyard engine. At the very least you know it ran when it was hit. If it's a front hit, be sure it didn't break the timing covers or hit any accessories like the p/s a/c or alternator, the block can crack at the mounting points. A car hit in the back or side is always best to get an engine from.

EJ22 in non-interference up to 96 at least. So you are good to go with a 92.

those $200-$300 numbers look good to me. depends on your area too. there's zillions of subaru's where i live and it's easy to get something for a couple hundred. scrap prices have come down a lot recently, a few months ago the converter alone was worth $125 for scrap.

price might go up if it's really low miles or subaru's are hard to find in your area (which i don't think they are).

I assume you are interested in the engine and wiring harnass, so you can swap the entire engine into your 87. If so, have the guy selling the car start the engine with a jump start. There is no point spending time and around $200for a motor that you later find out is bad after purchase.

I assume you are interested in the engine and wiring harnass, so you can swap the entire engine into your 87. If so, have the guy selling the car start the engine with a jump start. There is no point spending time and around $200for a motor that you later find out is bad after purchase.

QFT (Quoted for truth). Even if you think its repairable, you have to factor that repair to the engine into your whole thing, and that 200 dollar car, with a unknown engine, could turn into??? 1000 bucks? No run, No deal.