Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$750 is a rough estimate for you to go off of for a complete job. which should include the clutch, machining the flywheel, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and retaining clips. most clutch kits contain all of these parts.

but local prices will vary considerably. out here in WV i bet i could have it done for $500. when i lived in DC $1,000+.

be careful of a cheap clutch job, make sure they are doing everything listed above. a cheap job could easily be doing the bare minimum.

if your car has a plastic separator plate, make sure that is replaced with an updated metal one as well. it's a couple dollars and if it breaks you're essentially paying $500 labor to replace it later. someone here might be able to tell you if a 99 forester has the plastic or metal one.

parts prices will vary wildly too. $100 and go on the cheap. go with subaru parts and replace everything (flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, PB, TO Bearing, TO bearing clips)....and you're probably talking an amazing amount of cash.

alabama, can you find anyone to touch a subaru down there? ha ha.

I'm gonna say the "D" word - dealer. If I took it to the dealer what could I expect for cost?

Let me amend that by saying my dealer has, in the past, been fair with me and done the work correctly, they did my rear wheel bearings and a few 02 sensors and so forth.

To give you an idea for parts, I spent $349 including on dealer parts for everything Gary mentioned plus a clutch fork and minus the flywheel which I was able to turn at work but would've been $250 by itself:eek:

I also bought my parts from 1stsubaruparts.com which is usually a bit cheaper then what the dealers offer in-house. I think subarugenuineparts.com has even better prices. You can try seeing if your local dealer will do a price match, I've never had any luck, but I've read about other people having success with that. I also wasn't having service done at the dealer so that might have played a role in their decision not to give me a deal.

I had my eye on an Excedy clutch kit on feebay for around $120 that included all those parts except the fork and flywheel, but I chickened out at the last moment. I figured if my first clutch went 190k then if I went OE parts I have a good chance of the second clutch outlasting the rest of the car.

They're probably OK since it's a 2001, but this might be a good time to inspect your cv boots for rips or cracks and have them replaced at the same time. If they pull the trans, they pull the axles (correct?) and the boots them selves are reasonably priced I think.

Good luck!

yeah i'd plan on $1,000 from the dealer. they should, but make sure they do everything in there. all of that stuff doesn't cost much and requires virtually no extra work.

if you ask them they will probably match the prices of the online dealers. print out a quote of the online places and ask them to match those prices. i've never had my car worked on at a dealer but they've always given me the online pricing. that's essentially what the dealer here charges local shops and frequent customers anyway.

i was a bit leary to do that when i moved since i didn't know anyone, but the dealer was perfectly fine with it.

EVO - wilmington DE dealer? i've been there before! even bought some clutch retaining clips from them once! actually picked up a board members car from there once too.