Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So its 5 degrees here this morning and I go out to start my RS and the thing barely will turn over, it starts finally but not like it wants to. Is this the sign of a weak/cheap battery?

What do you guys do about our doors getting froze to where they won't open? I had to go in passenger side and tore the bottom weather stripping off in the process and had to pop it back in.

Any advice? I need it.

Edited by Durania

What weight oil are you running? I use 5/30 all year, which is what the manual calls for anyway. I use an oil pan heater at 0 and below, but I have started the car at -25 without the heater. It turned over a little slow, but started fine. The heater makes a huge difference. How many mornings do you get at 5 degrees in Tennessee? Might not be worth doing too much other than a good battery and good oil, which are both nice to have anyway.

The door freeze on Subarus is a big pain. I fight it all the time. Many here say silicon, that has never helped me much. I had to re-glue all my weather-stripping last year. I have had to crawl in from whatever door I could open a number of times. I'd like to find a good solution to that myself. Luckily, once it gets really cold out, staying below zero a lot, it never melts enough to get the door wet, so it doesn't start freezing again until early spring.

I had my oil change done at the dealership along with a coolant change last month. I am unaware as to what viscosity of oil they put in it but I am confident it was the recommended type.

I will use your idea about the silicone spray. I think what happened is it rained all last week then got cold all of a sudden and I had some water in my door jamb and gave it a place to freeze to.

In Tennessee we do very rarely get temperatures like what we experienced this morning. Not really worth the price of buying a heater over in my thoughts.

Last January my loyale would barely crank over when it was near 0F and the battery lasted all summer afterwards until it finally died. You probably have a little time to replace it before it craps out. If you let the car sit for more than a week w/o charging I bet it'll die for sure then.

I use a solid silicone white stick (or is: solid white silicone stick?).

I wipe it on directly to the DRY and CLEAN rubber door-seal, and then go over the surface very gently with a clean paper-towel.

I do this once a year before the winter - it's never let me down.

Where do you get that? I've just used spray.