Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for a good thread/write-up

About to dive into replacing my clutch. I have used to search to no avail. So, woundering if anyone knows where a good write up for this is. I'm thinking about going the route of sliding the motor up as I don't feel like evacuating the A/C to remove the engine. Besides Suprisingly, my EA82 doesn't leak! Just had it resealed last year. But, the guys how owned it when that was done didn't replace the clutch while there. SO, any help write ups, or whatever would be much appreciated! Of course if anyone is in Colorado Springs near me maybe some beer for an extra set of hands would be awsome too.

the a/c doesn't need to be disconnected to pull the engine. unbolt the compressor from the motor and swing it back towards the windshield, it will swing out of the way enough to pull the motor.

even if you did disconnect it all you'd have to do is recharge it with a couple cans of refrigerant. i've done it a bunch of times and have never had a problem yet.

i'd plan on pulling the engine, or at least have that as plan B since you're most likely going to need it.

clutches are relatively straight forward and there are FSM's available so that's why there's no write up about this. find an FSM and go to town.

disconnect everything: heater core hoses, air box/hose, throttle cables, wiring harness, distributor, starter, radiator hoses, power steering lines, a/c compressor, exhaust manifold nuts and anything else needing disconnected.

unbolt motor - two engine mounts underneath and the bellhousing bolts.

gradually work your way around the engine/trans contact area with a screw driver and chisel while giving it some lift and forward pull with the engine lift to get the engine/trans to separate. this usually takes awhile (particularly on one that hasn't been apart for awhile and your first time). just keep working around the engine and it slowly comes apart.

you'll get it 1 inch separated on one side. then when you do the other the side that was 1 inch will only be 1/2 inch....just keep plugging along, it'll come.

yank motor, replace clutch, reinstall.

as you're finding out, be sure to replace everything and reseal the separator plate (just a plate on the back of the motor, really simple).

Edited by grossgary

This car 2wd? If you want to go about it the other way (dropping the tranny) i have a writeup on how to swap trannys that should walk you through just dropping yours. Its in the USRM under swapping auto to manual (2wd 3 speed auto to 2wd 5 speed manual). I would just yank the engine though. Less time laying on your back under a car and not any harder than pulling the tranny.

Having done both pulling motors and transmissions...

Pull the transmission. Quicker, less chance of screwing something up. I of course borrowed a transmission jack when I did my transmission.

Pulling the engine is only easier in that you don't have to lift the transmission. Overall, the transmission is really easier as there's less things to pull apart.

I have always pulled the engine to do a clutch. Only because I would rather not lay on my back and do the work. Besides, while the engine is out you have an oportunity to replace the valve cover gaskets & oil pan gasket.

You do not need to evacuate the A/C as mentioned before. Just unbolt the bracket, leave the hoses intact and swing the entire A/C Compressor out of the way. The same goes for the power steering pump.

i just replaced the clutch in my 82 brat, not sure if yours will be simmilar?

was very simple i didn't even pull the engine completly out-

pull radiator etc, engine mounts, starter motor and separated engine from tranny. i didn't even disconnect any fuel or vacumn lines. engine will move foward enough on a floor jack to do the clutch. did not change the pilot bearing (that may have been more interesting) but did the thowout brg.

I did not have equipment or help to pull the engine out all the way. This took me a easy day in my backyard with no help.

Thank you for your help! I didn't even think about just unbolting it and moving the A/C out of the way. I can do the clutch without instuction that part is easy. Heck last clutch I did was on an old Volvo 244. So, no problems there. I guess more than anything, am just looking for the easiest way to do it. Oh, it is 4WD and I can't just vent the A/C and recharge it. I'm have my EPA 609 so if I get caught doing something like that it's a $10,000 fine! YUP. So, yeah not doing that any time soon. So, now it's just a matter of going by way of engine or trans removal...Thinking since my garage is small that engine would be best....Less busting my head on everything around me...:banana: