Ultimate Subaru Message Board

looking for some help with my engine swap .I have a 96 out back that had a 2.5 l I put a 98 2.2 l in the 96 and i keep on tripping the check engine light . its keep on spitting out evap silenoid and the knock sensor i notice that my problem might be that i dont have a egr valve on the 98 2.2 but do on the 96 2.5 is there any way that keep this motor in this car and stop tripping out check engines code I change the brain out of the 98 and put in the 96 and got a whole new set of codes mainly fuel realated codes thanks jack

The solenoid code can be fixed by using a resistor in place of the solenoid. I think about a 50 ohm size will do the trick. There should be a knock sensor on both engines so you either have a bad sensor or the circuit to it is bad. You don't give the codes so we can't tell what the real trouble is.

did you start another thread or did our responses get deleted? confused?

knock sensor, you're in luck. they fail and often need replaced, it's not because of the swap. check the sensor, if the base is cracked/corroded at all, it needs replaced.

probably use the one off the EJ25. keep in mind they have a funky installation procedure. clean the area the KS sets on the engine block, line up exactly how it's supposed to be and torque it properly. all of that info is here (with great pictures!), just do a search.

for now i'd retain the 96 ECU and deal with those codes, that isolates all the problems to only the engine harness.

the EGR code will be the trickiest to deal with. as i mentioned in the other thread.

Pull the egr solenoid from the old motor and plug it into the harness of the new motor.

Either replace the knock sensor, or pehaps try this trick. Relocate the knock sensor to the bolt hole on the top of the bellhousing. I had a 96 OB that was throwing that code all the time, sensor itself tested fine. Relocatted it to the top of the bellhousing, a bit further fromt eh crank, and no more code.

The motor runs fine, and I don't hear any signs of knocking.

Pull the egr solenoid from the old motor and plug it into the harness of the new motor.
his 98 EJ22, not having come with EGR, won't have a plug in the wiring harness. it'll need to be hard wired to the right pin outs of the engine harness plugs right?

unless the EGR isn't part of the engine harness, but i thought it was.

looking for some help with my engine swap .I have a 96 out back that had a 2.5 l I put a 98 2.2 l in the 96 and i keep on tripping the check engine light . its keep on spitting out evap silenoid and the knock sensor i notice that my problem might be that i dont have a egr valve on the 98 2.2 but do on the 96 2.5 is there any way that keep this motor in this car and stop tripping out check engines code I change the brain out of the 98 and put in the 96 and got a whole new set of codes mainly fuel realated codes thanks jack

Did you retain the evap canister in the front passengers side? IF so did you run a piece of hose from the pipe the comes up from the firewall next to the fuel filter over to the Canister?

The 96 2.5 should have had a pipe under the manifold with hose on either end that connected the pipe by the filter to the canister, which the 98 2.2 does not due to having the enhanced evap system tucked up behind the rear pass qtr panel.

Just make sure the way it is, is how it is described on the underhood label.