Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Egr and Pc(v) valve location/function

Ok, I've searched, and searched, and oh yeah, searched.

So far I've come up with where the EGR valve is and what it does, but no ideas on what it looks like.

The PC valve, commonly called the PCV valve (a double statement but I won't even get started on that) is a whole nother animal. There is almost nothing relevant to what I need.

So here's my Q. A couple months ago I started getting moisture and carbon in my intake manifold along with some funky foam/mold stuff. :eek: This is in my 85' Brat Sport, 1.8 H4, 4 speed manual, dual range, basically stock. I have pics of the stuff, not the best, but they show a fair amount.

And if the pics won't show here's a link the first pic and the second pic and finally the third pic.

I have no idea what that crap is but I was not happy to find it inside my intake manifold. I believe that the valve that leads out of the drivers side head failed, but I have no idea what valve that is. :confused:

A little background light to the issue, my EGR light has been on since I bought the car but I haven't had an issue with anything until this occurrence. I was investigating a sputtering problem when I found it. Obviously the excess moisture was causing the sputtering, but I'm trying to narrow down what caused the excess moisture.

I want to figure out what's up with this stuff, cuz I was on my way home when my throttle froze open. Its a load of fun when you push in the clutch and the engine wraps itself up over 6 grand. After it did this I pulled the entire intake off and inspected and cleaned it. I found carbon chunks in the manifold pan(?), whatever the air filter sits in. And also I figured out that the little plastic tank/bottle has a connection thingamajigger at the bottom that was being melted/eroded by something.

This brings me back to my original statement. Is that the EGR or the PC(V) valve that connects to the hose that runs to the black plastic tank/bottle?

And if it is how hard would it be to fix it/replace it?

I have looked up prices on both of them and the EGR was like $120-$140 and the PCV was only 2 bucks.

So any input on this? I need my Brat to run as well as possible and asap cuz my legacy is probably shot.:dead::(

----------------

Now playing: Ace of Base - The Sign

via FoxyTunes

it Depends on the Kind of Dirt you Found in the intake:

if the Dirt in the intake Manyfold is Oily, well it Might be the PCV Valve Suckin` Oil that is Blowed by the Head`s Hoses... Let me Explain:

The PCV Means Positive Crancase Vent Valve (or Somethin` like That) and it is Located Right under the Carb, at the intake Manyfold; it Gives the Ventilation to the Crancase and is "Sucks" the Nocive Fumes that comes from the Head`s 5/8" Hoses (one each Side) the PCV Valve is Tiny, it looks like a Plug for 5/8" Hose Down the Carb`s Base at the intake.

it Has Some Sort of Rattle Ball inside that Allows only one Direction to the Fumes` Circulation... Maybe it is Clogged, you can Take it Out, unscrewing it and Clean it with Gasoline, but for $2.ºº I Believe you can Change it... But I Suggest to Use the Subaru Original instead Cheap Brands...

The Oil Blowin` from Each head is a Problem with Older Engines, as they Wear the Seals... Have you found into the Air Filter Box some Oily Residues? ... if there`s no Oil, I Won`t Believe the Problem is There...

The EGR Valve is Bigger, Bronze Colour -usually- it Looks some alike an UFO :), Located on the intake Manyfold too, but at one Side; it has just one 3/16" Hose Plug `cos it`s Vacuum Activated... if it`s Stuck Open, can cause some Problems... Sometimes it is Plugged to the Wrong Vacuum and it lets it Open all the time, I Suggest to Unplug it and Cap the Vacuum hose, and try Drive it for a While (it takes some time to the Engine to clean Carbon exess) and see if the Problem goes...

I Hope this can Help you!

Good Luck! :burnout:

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

PCV stands for *Positive Crankcase Ventilation*

So PCV valve is not a redunancy.

Now, the EGR light comes on at 60K miles to tell you to clean the valve. Don't bother.

Just look up under the dash, taped to the wiring just left and above of the pedals, there should be 3 white or blue connectors. 2 will be connected, and one dangling, pull apart the 2 and reconnect one of them to the dangling one. This resets the light.

Now, for the PCV valve. It is on the rear of the intake, at base of carb. Screws out with a 19mm socket. 5 minutes to replace and a very likely cause of the oily air cleaner box.

Ok, I had the location of the valve that went bad wrong. I got confused and looked at the wrong hose. Here's the pic's of the right valve.

Or the right canister, and then also where they connect to the intake manifold box.

Hope this gives a better idea about what I'm trying to figure out.

Twitch

P.S. Shameless question but, does anybody have any leading rods or stabilizer bars I could buy? My brat is still out of commission until I can get those fixed as well. I'll post in the wtb section too.

Sorry about the having to click a link to see my pics, flickr doesn't like to play nicely with the picture link