Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my first subie

im new to this board and thought i would share my find! A co-worker of mine's dad owns a body shop that has an 85 (or 87 i can't remember right now) sedan that had been sitting in the back lot for oh, about 8 years (or so :)) and had been wanting to do some "house cleaning" back there to clear out space. So he gave it to me for free! only problem is that the engine was knocking really bad (and later after disassembling the engine, i found out that the #1 cylinder rod bearing was.... missing :() unfortunately, the crank was ground down to the point of un-usability, but good news is that my friend who is helping me rebuild an engine for this soob found one that got rear-ended and has a great-running motor in it! but i guess the guy is waiting to deal with insurance, blah, blah, blah, etc. so hopefully i will find out soon if i can use that soob as a donor :)

oh and the one i am looking to fix is a manual with dual range 4wd, ea-82 carb'ed.

on another note, i have only found engine rebuild kits for the ea-82 spfi variants, will these work on a carb'ed version, aside from the carb and intake gaskets that are most likely different?

thanks and i love this forum!

Welcome to the Board

You can always do a SPFI engine conversion. If you dont want to wait for that other engine, you could always find another one. They can be had for dirt cheep. Ive seen 2 in the parts section go for 150bucks or less. And depending on where you are in the country, you might just get your choice if you visit the local wrecking yard. As long as its not a turbo the lower end of these motors is the same. Just the induction system was changed in 88 to FI for the ea82 stuff.

ok, i was hoping to get the parts car for about 150, and then i would have all sorts of spare stuff, for the front end anyways!:lol:

anyways its no rush getting it together. i would like to have it done this winter. i have always wanted to rebuild an engine, so this is the best chance i have. other things i know that the girl needs is a clutch too. maybe the one on the hopeful donor car will be better, but the plate has about 1/16" to go before it hits rivets. probably needs brakes too.

thanks for the crazy fast replies!