Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everybody I just got a '94 loyale for 3 bills and a tow

205,000 with a clean looking fresh smog report. It has a busted timing belt. In have been studying all the threads and I sure appreciate the wisdom. I've been formulating my plan.

I'm definately changing the water pump while I'm there.

I want to change the tensioners also, I think I read that I can change the bearings in them. That could save some money.

Apparently I can change the seals in the oil pump as It's to much bread to replace it.

The idler gear is what I think broke the belt as it's pretty loose. Can I change this bearing also?

Yes I'm changing the cam seals.

One thing that worries me is that there wasn't much coolent in it. My bad for not looking, coulda got a hundred off for that maybe. I figure maybe headgasket going into the exhaust. No coolent in the oil(does that happen on subarus?). Over 200,000 I figure on resealing the whole engine at some point is a good idea anyway. It's been a daily commuter until the belt broke so I figure it will go for a while and I'll know if the coolent gets low. Hey, maybe it's just a pinhole or a radiator thing we'll see.

They had about 5 L series at the pick and pull so I'm stoked about that. All the ea82's had the passanger side head taken of so I guess that one goes first. I'm on the prowl for my 2.2. Hoping that,s smog legal in California. Got to ask the smog guy about that.

Seriously I'm really appreciating all the knowlage. Like that thing about the relays for the power windows, I could never figure that out. I havent wanted to take a engine apart(all the way) in years. I should be able to get through the belts and stuff OK , I'll let you know.

205,000 w

I'm definately changing the water pump while I'm there.

I want to change the tensioners also, I think I read that I can change the bearings in them. That could save some money.

Apparently I can change the seals in the oil pump as It's to much bread to replace it.

The idler gear is what I think broke the belt as it's pretty loose. Can I change this bearing also?

Yes I'm changing the cam seals.

One thing that worries me is that there wasn't much coolent in it. My bad for not looking, coulda got a hundred off for that maybe.

Water pump change: might as well.

Change the tensioners. I made 2 sets that I can replace the bearings on.

I have replaced the seals in the oil pump - a specilal "mickey mouse" one, a couple of o rings, and a shaft seal. I got them with an engine reseal kit.

Idler gear bearing can be replaced. Use contact seal bearings for the 3 idlers. Usually the seals are a dark reddish color, not black.

Cam seals and the O-rings on the seal carriers.

Refill the coolant, re check before each run for a while. You don't want to overheat due to low coolant. Check by squeezing the upper rad hose, listen for the jiggle pin & no air gurgle. Also the level in the recovery bottle.