Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbie Loyale 4wd vacuum question

Hi folks,

I've got a 92 Loyale 5spd manual with a 4wd issue, can't switch her in and out with the switch on the shifter.

This morning I got it out of 4wd by having my daughter punch the button a few times while I held various vacuum hoses snug. When she pressed the button I could hear an audible sucking noise under the hood near the driver's side, so I held the vacuum hoses tight until it shifted back to FWD.

I just moved and can't seem to find my Haynes manual in the boxes or I'd have some more precise terminology to post, sorry about that.

In addition, I've been having in issue with the defrost/heat, where the heat will not blow through the windshield vents if the car is running above 3500 RPM or so. Once I let off the gas and it sinks back down around 3000 RPM the air will go back from the heater vents to the windshield vents again.

From what I've read in older posts, the combination of these issues suggests a vacuum problem. Is this correct? Can anyone direct me to a post on troubleshooting and repairing vacuum leaks?

thanks a ton.

OK, New Question...

It seems like the monkeying around I've done with the vacuum tubes has fixed the switching problem. I can now switch between FWD and 4WD consistently.

When I shift from FWD to 4WD the light comes on immediately and the 4wd engages smoothly with no "clunk." When I shift from 4WD to FWD, there is a long delay, and a LOUD "CLUNK" that feels like it makes the whole rig jump an inch. I tested the shifting with the car in motion with my foot off of the accelerator, both in gear and in neutral. Same results.

This car has always shifted out of 4wd a little rough, but the problem seems much more noticable (and worrysome) now.

So it seems my solenoid is functional and my vacuum issues are (at least temporarily) resolved. Any suggestions for smoothing our my 4WD/FWD transitions?

Thanks

By the way, this board kicks butt. I've learned a ton about my rig in just 1 hour reading old posts! Thanks!

I

Edited by nbiehl
add stuff

Are you testing this on dry pavement? Are all your tires the same size with the same wear? Both of these will cause the car to "clunk" out of 4WD.

Its nothing to worry about, just remember to use 4WD only in conditions where the tires can slip, and also make sure all four of your tires exhibit the same wear.

You might want to check and/or replace all the vacuum hoses going to the 4wd shift mechanism -- sounds like they might be a bit old and leaky. Also... sounds like a bad check valve for the vaccuum accumulator (can you accumulate nothing?) It's a common problem on the EA82's to only blow out the middle vents instead of the defroster vents under low engine vacuum, and I think it's related to a bad check valve there.... I've never owned an EA82 with the pushbutton, but it sounds like this system might operate from the same vacuum resevoire.

Z