Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transaxle Bearing? Popping, clunking noise

Hi everybody,

1985 GL Wagon, D/R 5sp, 1.8l Carb., 180K

Part 1:

I had a good running 1985 GL wagon, one day it started making a noise.

Sounded like a loud popping, clunking and grinding from under the front end. I thought it was a CV joint that blew out, or a very bad bearing. It didn't matter whether I was turning or not, it didn't occur at low speeds (under 20 mph), and seemed to get worse when things get warm

I took it immediately to a good shop they diagnosed it as a bad "transaxle bearing", they said they couldn't repair it and it probably wasn't worth fixing ($600 to $1000)

I didn't want to hear that so I took it to my usual mechanic. After they looked at it, without any knowledge of what the other mechanic had said, he said the exact same thing, "transaxle bearing"

Part 2:

I gave the car to a friend of mine who thought he could fix it up on the cheap. He got a used tranny from a wrecking yard and put it in. Same noise (or very similar). He checked the CV joints, the driveline seems good, everything seems tight, but it still pops and clunks.

Questions:

Does this sound right? Is transaxle bearing a legitimate diagnosis?

Are the odds good that a junk yard tranny could have the same problem. Are we barking up the wrong tree? Is there a way to test for this condition before swapping the tranny again?

Thanks!

Transaxle bearing to be sounds like the propshaft (tailshaft, whatever you want to call it) bearing. Because this is a EA82 car it has a two piece propshaft. There is a bearing in the middle of this shaft that holes it to the body.

Used propshaft from wrecker: $50

Time: half hour.

Transaxle bearing to be sounds like the propshaft (tailshaft, whatever you want to call it) bearing. Because this is a EA82 car it has a two piece propshaft. There is a bearing in the middle of this shaft that holes it to the body.

Used propshaft from wrecker: $50

Time: half hour.

The transaxle has many bearings... so that's not a very good description. If it's the center carrier bearing on the driveshaft... that's an easy fix. And easy to diagnose too, as you can crawl underneath and turn it and see if it's loose or nice and tight. When mine went out, it was worse at low speeds, under 10mph, and went away at high speeds though. And, it definitely sounded like it was from the back (though I had a rear wheel falling off), not the front.

Can you give more details on when it occurs. It is under acceleration, or decceleration, or coasting. Does it happen if the car is in nuetral, or only if it's in gear. Does it happen in all gears, or just some? Could it be something in the engine even.... does it happen if you rev the engine with the car stopped?

• 3 months later...