Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3AT Problem on Turbo Wagon - 5spd swap?

EDIT:

I've decided to go with a 5-speed swap. It seems easy enough. Just scroll on down and read my next post. :grin:

Hey, I've got a Turbo Wagon with the 3AT having some trouble. Here is my previous thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=94532

Anyway, I got a new valvebody in it today, and still the same issues. Can anyone help me figure out what is wrong? I may need a new transmission, if so I'd like to get a 5-speed in it. Is that fairly easy? I have lots of car experience, just on domestics not imports.

Edited by Alphius

Very easy. Especially on ea82s. You'll need flywheel, clutch kit, pedal assembly, clutch cable, driveline, 3.9 rear diff, speedometer cable and maybe front axles. I don't think you'll ned front axles because I've done the same exact swap that you are looking into and didn't need to replace axles.

You'd be glad you replaced it.

Yup, 5spd is the way to go. I swapped my 86 t-wagon in an afternoon. You need the flywheel bolts too. I brought everthing I thought I needed out to wyoming to swap it, but had to wait for my dad to send an envelope of bolts because I forgot them. You will need the manual tranny x member and mounts and the bolts that go throught the x member to the body.

But it is easy. Drop the steering column out, makes it way easier to swap the pedal box.

OK, I'm looking for a parts car now to do the swap from. I'm thinking it will be cheaper to try to find a $2-300 car to get all my parts from than to try to piece it together. Just double-checking on needed parts, I will have to have:

1. transmission

2. clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, etc. (bolts)

3. driveline and rear diff

4. speedo cable and clutch cable

5. pedal box for 5-speed

6. 5-speed x-member

And I won't need new axles? My 3AT axles will be fine for a 5-speed?

So, basic procedure would go, remove axles and driveline from 3AT, unbolt and drop the AT with x-member, then put the 5-speed up there and hook everything back up, pedals and such.

Will I need to do anything about my engine computer? Or does it not care about the type of tranny? I can bypass my neutral/clutch safety switch to get it started I know.

Thanks a lot, you guys rock. I'm glad to be on here. :grin:

Ok just for some clarification for myself..is this an EA81T or an EA82T. If its the EA81 then no your axles will be fine. If its the EA82T then you will need to find a 5 speed from a turbo car to get the correct 25 splines..or get 23 spline axles from a non-turbo car along with a non-turbo 5 speed.

EDIT. Just read your other post. EA82T it is. Disregard EA81T info.

OK, let me get this straight then.

All Turbo Subarus use a 25 spline axle on the transmission end.

All non-Turbo use a 23 spline axle.

Therefore, with a non-Turbo tranny, I will need to also grab the correct 23 spline axles.

Will there be any problems with gear ratios besides the mismatched front/rear diffs? And is it possible to drive temporarily with the front 3.9 and rear 3.7 as long as I don't engage 4WD?

Thanks. :banana:

No, the 3AT's all have 23spline axles, like the N/A Dual range 5spds. Only the 4eat's and the turbo dual range 5spds have the 25spline.

Yeah, as long as you don't engage 4wd, you can run mismatched diffs. If you're in snow or mud, you can run the 4wd too, it's not then end of the world. The rear will tend to push though.

No, the 3AT's all have 23spline axles, like the N/A Dual range 5spds. Only the 4eat's and the turbo dual range 5spds have the 25spline.

Yeah, as long as you don't engage 4wd, you can run mismatched diffs. If you're in snow or mud, you can run the 4wd too, it's not then end of the world. The rear will tend to push though.

Really? Wow guess i never caught that bit of info.