Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do I really have a blown head gasket?

antz

Hi, brand new to this site, so I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong area...

I have an 87 Suburu Legacy that a couple months ago began getting really high on the temp gauge when the engine is under a load, such as highway driving. When the temp starts getting way up there, I just rev the engine up to the RPM redline for a 5-6 seconds to get the coolant really pumping through, and the temp gauge will usually quickly fall back to normal, only to start climbing up again almost right away. The problem seems worse after a cold start or when the weather is excessively cold. I've changed the thermostat and the sensor that runs the electric fan, and can find nothing else wrong. It ain't losing any coolant at all, aside from a slight leak around the block heater, but it is burning through a quart of oil every 300 miles.

A coolant test did not indicate a blown gasket, and just 15 months ago, I had brand new heads installed on it when I found out they were both cracked, yet I did not have similar problems then like I have now. A couple techs in my area I have asked told me I most likely have a seeping head gasket anyway, and my little blond brain just can't work out how my problems could be caused by that.............any ideas?? Thank you!

Legacy? Loyale?? Heck, I dunno, it's that station wagon with the 1.8 horsepower engine.....maybe you got the 4.gif thing right about me!

Nope, haven't tried that.....I'll do that before I plunk down the green for this really neat '02 Imprezza I was looking at yesterday!

so - 1987 Loyale?

Most likely radiator is clogged or the water pump is weak. (has either ever been replaced?). Those are replacement items on old vehicles.

Also, replace the thermostat with a Subaru thermostat if you have any thoughts on keeping it. Aftermarket thermostats aren't very consistent. You'll see the difference just by looking at them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the heads were needlessly replaced before. They weren't likely cracked. The shop probably assumed the cracks between the valve seats meant they were bad "cracked" heads.

Not so with this engine. Nearly every EA82 (or similarly designed ER27) on the road has those cracks, they're essentially "normal" for this engine.

go buy a head tester from napa. they are like 35 bucks. easiest way to find a head gasket leak. you put the blue fluid in the test tube, stick it where the radiator cap goes, let it sit there for 15 minutes with the car running. if the fluid turns yellow u have a head gasket leak. if it turns green the dye got contaminated with antifreeze, lower the antifreeze lvl and test again.

on the other hand I suggest radiator flow/water pump