Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Baja Rear License Plate Holder - Removable?

I looked at it last night and it will come off as a unit. So as long as you install it on fairly straight surface it should bolt right on.

I don't have a picture Durania but bassicaly with the tailgate down the plate pivots 90 degrees to have the licence plate visible.

I looked at it last night and it will come off as a unit.

Great, thanks for checking. Looking again at the Brat tailgate last night, the outer shell is contoured, so some sheet metal work would be required to create a flat mounting area, but that's certainly do-able.

One last question... Are the lights built into the frame assembly? It looks like those sections on either side that flip down with the plate house the lights, yes?

• 1 year later...

Well, it's a year and a half later - I'm reporting back! :grin:

From the dealer, the entire Baja license plate assembly was something crazy like $250, so I went and got a whole tailgate from the junkyard for $200. :banana:

http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15529&highlight=subaru+baja

But that was nearly a year ago - I only just recently got around to installing it on the Project XRBrati tailgate...

Brat-081410-01.jpg

Brat-081410-02.jpg

The install was rather simple - I just bonded in four 1/4" spacers to get it off the sheet metal surface and provide some strength in the process (so that the sheet metal wouldn't "dimple". Although it's not quite on the same plane, the bracket conforms easily enough when bolted in plate.

I would have preferred mounting it lower, but then it would have hit the bumper when lowered. I'm not in love with the install, but it will function as needed, and get me moving on and finally getting this project finished!

Here's the current status BTW....

http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2639&start=525