Ultimate Subaru Message Board

anyboy did it? the brakelines?

Eastwestboy,

I've done some brake line replacements over the years and you'll find that its not particularly difficult to do, if you have the right tools and you can get the car in the air. Trying to do more than changing just one short piece while the car is up on jack stands will drive you crazy.

Check your parts sources to see if buying several rolls of brake line and all of the required fittings to make up your own lines is the route to go, or if buying just the required ready made lines with pre-installed fittings.

If you decide to make your own you'll need a tube bender and a flaring tool set. I think you'll find that buying factory pieces from Subaru will be a fortune.

For each section I've pre-measured the lengths using string, and used the old section as a copy for the bends for the new piece. Some times I even used mechanic's wire or an old coat hanger wire, if the old section was beyond copying.

As for mounting the new lines, I'ved used the original clips if they were still useable, and in places where they had fallen apart, either used self-tapping screws through new clips or heavy duty zip ties to existing substructures. You don't want the new lines to vibrate up against any under body structures that may eventually rub through your new lines.

Hope this helps, and Good Luck!