Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Toy, 88 RX

abog

I say drive it till the motor goes and then ej swap it. You can make it look pretty stock even with an EJ in there. and it's not all about driving fast, its about driveability as well. It would be a really nice going car with an EJ22 under the hood. But hey it's your car and whatever you choose to do is cool! Very nice, take care of it and keep it from rusting!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had some time, so started tearing into the engine. Started to get nervous when I saw how hot the engine has been ( melted inner timing belt covers ). Have seen this before and it is usually a bad thing. Removed the right head first, number 3 cylinder was dead on compression test. Head is junk, has been hot enough that the valve seat fell out and jammed the valve open. Much to my surprise the cylinders look great, no scoring, or any damage at all. I think I have lucked out. Will remove the left head tomorrow but dont think there will be any damage, leak down and compression on that side were ok.

nice find. i was hopeing someone would get this and keep it nice, and not beat it...

when you get done playing with that EA82T, send that car up to my house so i can put a EJ20G or EJ207 swap into it and really make it a fun car to drive...

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

You do Brats too? I can come up and keep Lisa company for a few days while you hide away in the garage :grin:

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
nope, the rx has a transmission like your legacy. Its all-wheel-drive. Full time 4wd is the same thing. It cannot be shifted out of 4wd. The dual range means there is a normal (high) range and a low range.

The diff lock just locks the center diff, making it 50/50 front to rear. When its unlocked, whichever end of the car that has the least amount of traction gets most the power... Like any open diff would act.

+1

Edited by ruparts
mistake

Not the RX i owned.

If the rear got slip, the rear got 100% of the power...

new legacy's have a center lsd maybe... but the RX has a open/locked center diff. Not a center LSD.

I stand corrected, i really thought they had a center lsd in them. thank you for putting me straight on that.

Walked around our local picknpull yesterday. Found an 88 XT6 4WD. Was able to get all the necessary parts for a 5 lug conversion. Want to be able to use actual performance tires for autocross. The selection of 13 inch tires is getting pretty limited and not really performance oriented. The same car is a 5 speed, was wondering if anyone knows if the final drive ratio is the same as the RX? Would be good to have a spare trans and rear diff. These parts seem to be getting pretty rare around here.