Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Fuel economy dropped!

Hi. Sometime over the last 2 tanks of gas, my mileage DID vary, dropped from a 30 mpg (7.5 liters/100km) to 22-24 mpg range. Nothing changed, 80% of my driving is fairly fast 2 lane at 70 mph (110 kmh), the rest is around our very small, 20mph town. 92 Loyale SPFI 5sp. 4wd wagon, new 175 all-seasons inflated to 32 psi. Car runs well, weather has been cool and dry, so where would I start looking?

Hi. Sometime over the last 2 tanks of gas, my mileage DID vary, dropped from a 30 mpg (7.5 liters/100km) to 22-24 mpg range. Nothing changed, 80% of my driving is fairly fast 2 lane at 70 mph (110 kmh), the rest is around our very small, 20mph town. 92 Loyale SPFI 5sp. 4wd wagon, new 175 all-seasons inflated to 32 psi. Car runs well, weather has been cool and dry, so where would I start looking?

Did you get some bad gas?

I've been reading alot of threads from the PNW about Poor milage and performance.

My brother went to washington last month. he got 2 tanks of gas up there. On his way back to Oregon and for the next 3 weeks, his car would seriously not go over 45 without being pushed to the max.

After about 3 weeks and a few fill ups, the car is back to normal.

IDK, but it seems like all that flooding in January affected alot of gas up there

Interesting, but the car's performance hasn't varied - still runs strong, starts well, idles down to 700 or so when warm, temps are stable (about 2 needle widths above the cold line) so I don't think I got a load of bad gas. Leads me to another question, though - could a clogged fuel filter have this effect? I realized I haven't changed that. (Air filter is new in Sept.)

Did someone recently do a tune up and didn't disconnect the test connectors unde the hood after setting the timing?

Possibly it is time for a tune up, plugs, wires, rotor, cap etc..

How about running a can of seafoam through the fuel and oil...

just throwing darts here...

Interesting, but the car's performance hasn't varied - still runs strong, starts well, idles down to 700 or so when warm, temps are stable (about 2 needle widths above the cold line) so I don't think I got a load of bad gas. Leads me to another question, though - could a clogged fuel filter have this effect? I realized I haven't changed that. (Air filter is new in Sept.)

Only if it is plugged enough to cause a misfire.

I would change it,regardless.

Outside temps consistent?

How about the O2 sensor? Check your air filter anyways, maybe a mouse moved in. Car still warming up the operating temp like normal? Did this start right after the tire replacement. Been under stress? Maybe your driving habits have changed and you have not noticed.

make sure you aren't driving with the Ebrake on, err, i mean check for brakes dragging, calipers free moving....

Good point - I will check those items.

"How about the O2 sensor? Check your air filter anyways, maybe a mouse moved in. Car still warming up the operating temp like normal?"

Yes, warmup is normal, air filter and box are clean.

" Did this start right after the tire replacement. "

No, that was a couple months ago. They are taller than the old 185's, though, so I would have thought that might gain a bit of fuel economy.

"Maybe your driving habits have changed and you have not noticed. "

Could be - but I doubt it. I am pretty consious of the police tolerance around here, and I try pretty hard to stay in that 10% allowance they tend to give one. Which equates to cruising at 110 KMH in the 100 zones common around here.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, the tire change affected my speedo and odometer readings by 5% or so, plus the last couple of runs to Penticton were done at slightly lower speeds, 3000 RPM cruise, instead of 3200. Voila! 30 MP (US)G. The new (taller) tires screwed up my numbers, and a leadfoot screwed up my mileage. :rolleyes: