Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Digital dash (interruption)

Eat82 , 1800 T, auto , 4wd ,hiroof , all other options , 1986 , 160.000 Km. Most luxerious and complete model

The digital dash (red) works fine , is brite , no problem.

Only with the lights on , it sometimes becomes completely dark.

After switching off and again on , it works fine again.

Opended up he dimmer , cleaned it , no visible or measurable interuption or crack or whatever. Conectors cleaned. No improvement. Tried to take ou the dig unit , but had fear to take out a lot of things like all vacuum lines for the ventilation.

Where could be the culprit ?

Any one KNOWS more ? Thanks !

The digital Dashes are notorious for that.

Probably not going to be able to solve it by removing it, unless you are replacing it. The problem is almost always in the Dashes circuit boards.

If you do decide to remove it, you don't have to mess with the Vac tubes and cables for the heater. If you carefully pop out the top and bottom pushbuttons on the controls(Def and Off) you will see 2 screws, one behind each. Once you release theose screws, the dash face will pull away leaving the Control pod in place. there a 2 screws along the bottom edge of the dash, and 2 more above the instrument cluster. The far right edge of the dash is *clipped* in and just needs a good pry/pull to get it out.

If it is liveable, I wouldn't mess with it.

If you do need to swap it out to an Analog dash, I can provide you with scans of the wiring diagrahms.

I think the display requires about 40 volts to operate. This requires a power supply circuit to run the display from the vehicles 12 volt system. The trouble may be within the power supply. I doubt you will be able to find some schematics that show the details of the circuit. It is treated as a module that just shows wires going to it. If it keeps working like it is then it may be best to live with it. It would be interesting though to know how they dim the display. They may just vary the supply voltage through the dimmer circuit.