Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anybody know if the neutral saftey switch (inhibitor) is the same thing that's called a transmission range sensor through diagnostics codes(Autozone print out calls it that). If not, where is the transmission range sensor located, I've already disconnected and cleaned the NSS, no drivability or starting problems, just the check engine light and stored PO705 code. Thanks, Bob

Yes its the same switch. Check the condition of the cable. I think what this means is that there may be somethig wrong with the switch overall, as oposed to the inhibitor switch (positions P and N) itself.

But dont quote me on that.

Clear the code and see if it comes back.

nipper

Thanks, Nipper, There's an interesting tip on End wrench in the archives regarding the exact issue for 1999 Outbacks like mine, cel and stored code for PO705

>insider info

Code P0705, 1999 Legacy

If you find a combination of the MIL on and

Code P0705 stored in memory, proceed as follows:

1. Open all inhibitor switch circuit connections to

be sure the contacts are clean and dry.

2. Plug those connections back together and make

sure they are secure.

3. Insure that both the inhibitor switch and the

shifter cable are properly adjusted.

If you've found no problems so far, the fault is

probably inside the TCU (Transmission Control

Unit), so replace it.

I'm not sure how to adjust shifter cable but I'll do that next.

Interesting that the next step is replace TCU rather than the switch itself.

By the way, you gave me advice regarding my extreme shifting tranny a while back and cleaning the TPS did the trick(knock on wood) Thanks again, Bob

Again an educated guess.

The Inhibtor switch failure may be a problem with just P and N (dirty or burned contacts ect in just those two postions). The Code your seeing i most likely a probablme being picked up by ALL positions in the switch, like partial contact, or the switch contacts moving around, or noise in the signal. All of these can be caused by a loose cable or dirty and poor contacts. Since there is not much in the switch (its just on or off for any given postion), it can only be the cable, wires, or the tcu.

nipper