Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electronic ign. Modual?

Hello suby people, I have a ?

I have an EA71 eng. from a 1981 installed in my 76 DL and I would like to use the distributer from the EA71 also. I know ther newer pointless dist. have 2 wires and will hook right up to the coil.

Mine has a 3 prong plug in connection. Does this system use an electronic ignition modual?? and if so would anyone have one to sell? Thanks Beng

Edited by BENGAL
because

Yes the early electronic ignition had an external module. They're kinda big and bulky... anyway, I believe you can take the pickup assy out of an ea81 disty and put it in your ea71 disty to eliminate that.. provided its the same manufacturer. Nippondenso I think? I'm pretty sure the hitachi ones were only ea81 and later, and had a different design.

Thanks for the info sir, I'll probably just get a newer 2 wire dist. I see them in the scrap yards for $40. or so. I have a new dist. that uses points and am having to re adjust - clean every couple of weeks and am tired of it!!

Thanks again BENG