Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cables and tranny cocktail

Local dealers dont have extra-S gear oil so the cocktail is my next option.

Of these 3 I cant get the Redline, what can I substitute it with?

1qt Redline lightweight shockproof

1qt Pennzoil Synchromesh

2qt Castrol HypoyC 80w-90

For my running the battery to the rear, home depot has

4ga for $1 a foot and 2ga for $1.88 per foot. I was told I

cant use this kind of wire because it have fewer strands than automotive wiring, true?

You should be able to run this kind of wire as long as it does not have to flex constantly. I have used household type wire on cars for many years because auto parts stores don't ever seem to stock the bigger sizes. More strands of wire simply make it more flexible, easier to work with and more expensive. I suppose that it is possible that more strands running in parallel would lower the resistance a tiny bit and in theory at least carry a little more current, you would have to measure it in a lab to tell the difference, and maybe not even then.

Make sure you secure it every 2ft or so it does have a chance to flex. Use good wiring practice and keep it out of the weather and you should be fine.

I did some wiring like this on a truck back in the 1980's and when I sold the truck over 10 years later the wiring was still good.