Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starting the car buying process

I currently drive a '98 leagcay l. It has cost me a lot of money, I bought from the paper and got taken. Yet I do like the subaru particularly the AWD. I am not sure if a i want another wagon but I do like the cargo space. The new imprezas are nice I am not sure how many years the new body style goes back. I guess I am just asking for some ideas here. I don't want to go much over 12k. Any thoughts what about other makes like a toyate matrix or mazda 3 or others.

Suggestions adice at all?

You should be able to find a very nice replacement car for around 12k dollars. You may even want to keep about 1k back for a repair fund when repairs are needed. Hopefully you will find another Soob you want to keep for a long time. Have a shop check things out before you sign for the next car.

gritle,

I've owned 3 OBW's and there is another Forester in the family stable. If you're after AWD that is proven and bullet proof, you have to go Subaru. No other manufacturer has their entire lineup totally AWD, and its has been that way, totally bug proof, for more than 20 years. Eveyone else is just a player in the field, albeit there are some good players out there that even I might consider (Matrix AWD/Vibe AWD, RAV4, CRV,Audi Quattro).

If you find a Legacy wagon too pricey, but still want the cargo capacity, for sure try out the Forester. Same drive train, same motor, same mileage or perhaps a little more than the Legacy, and about the same cargo capacity, in just another body style.

Do some searching here to find the Subie years with the best motor that avoids the piston slap/head gasket issue that was the motor's only weakness. I believe the issue was finally addressed starting with the 05 models, but I'm sure their are others on the forum that can give you some other areas to be aware of.

Good Luck on your car search, and get back to us with what you decide to go with!