Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My turn to pick an H6 exhaust (2003)

Haven't looked under the car yet, but something is leaking back near the muffler.

Almost 90,000 miles.

Would love to find something that lent a bit of a growl to the exhaust note, almost wish it was a bit of a beater so I could just throw on a glasspack or a turbo muffler.

I've seen various threads where folks ask for what's a good muffler besides stock, and have seen concerns about losing power from both not having the muffler with the bypass, and concerns about insufficient backpressure and losing low-end, but not much feedback on what was picked and used.

Anyone actually ever put something on (besides stock) that they liked?

2003 outback LL bean H6

Dave

I am really suprised you have exhaust issues. My exhaust on my 98 is original. They must put so lighter pipes on the newer cars. I would imagine that a muffler shop would be able to point you to a OEM muffler if you need one as long as you trust them:)

The H6 exhaust is 'special' and I am not sure if I mean that in a good way or a bad way.

The muffler has a spring-loaded bypass valve to reduce back pressure above certain throttle settings, and there are varying reports that if you block it open (too little back pressure) low-end suffers, and that if you have a standard muffler without the bypass valve, top end suffers, and in either case mileage suffers.

From reports, only the genuine subie muffler has the valve, and it is a pricey little bastard of a muffler from subaru.

Dave

I guess it would be. I didn't know they had bypasses in them. If it is bad, maybe you could locate a muffler in a wrecking yard somewhere. Wrecking yard probaly would let it go cheap, because who honestly buys a muffler from a wrecking yard, not many I would guess. Good luck:)

I'll be interested to hear what happens here as well. That is interesting about the dual exhaust with bypass valves. I would think a standard better flowing exhaust would do well on this vehicle.

If bypass valve style mufflers added performance then surely all the high end performance folks would be running them, but that is not the case.

I've had gains replacing mufflers before, particularly the pathetically designed Subaru styles, with straight through mufflers.

I've had great experience with Dynomax mufflers and will stick with them. Simple, straight through exhaust and the ones i've purchased sounded good. Not loud, just a good tone.

Haven't done it to any newer subaru's though, but the older ones i've done gained a few highway mpg's.

I just had to open up my 01 H6 by unbolting the rear muffler/tailpipe assy. and noticed very little low end loss while gaining about as much up top. The sound near red line is quite intoxicating (think non turbo 911). I plan on getting a spare rear exhaust section and getting a better flowing muffler to make it easier to switch back if I ever get tired of the sound (don't think so). I am pretty sure that the muffler is the only difference with the H6 exhaust after the cats.

I'll be interested to hear what happens here as well. That is interesting about the dual exhaust with bypass valves. I would think a standard better flowing exhaust would do well on this vehicle.

If bypass valve style mufflers added performance then surely all the high end performance folks would be running them, but that is not the case.

I've had gains replacing mufflers before, particularly the pathetically designed Subaru styles, with straight through mufflers.

I've had great experience with Dynomax mufflers and will stick with them. Simple, straight through exhaust and the ones i've purchased sounded good. Not loud, just a good tone.

Haven't done it to any newer subaru's though, but the older ones i've done gained a few highway mpg's.

Yeah, a little widget like that working some kind of magic is contrary to my experience and engineering spidey-sense as well, it must have performed *some* useful service for subaru to stick it on, though.

Dave

I just had to open up my 01 H6 by unbolting the rear muffler/tailpipe assy. and noticed very little low end loss while gaining about as much up top. The sound near red line is quite intoxicating (think non turbo 911). I plan on getting a spare rear exhaust section and getting a better flowing muffler to make it easier to switch back if I ever get tired of the sound (don't think so). I am pretty sure that the muffler is the only difference with the H6 exhaust after the cats.

OK, good to hear at least one positive experience.

A buddy wanted me to fix the exhaust on his dodge horizon "the cheapest way possible" so I came off the cat with a 90 degree bend and just ran the exhaust out, no muffler, just in front of the rear wheel, but far enough out it wouldn't heat the tire.

Sounded damn good, and surprisingly 'not too loud'.

Dave

With a decent non-fartcan muffler I think you will enjoy the music this engine plays. Just save your old muffler as I can't imagine it is easy to find and Subaru might just want an arm/leg/testicle for one if you ever want to go back to factory set up. Check youtube under svx exhaust as the engine sound is pretty close to what we have.