Ultimate Subaru Message Board

31+ mpg!

:banana: '81 4WD 4MT ea81 Hatch 263k 13" wheels

Just resealed my Hitachi carb, new fuel filter, new PCV valve, new driver's side wheel bearings, thermostat, and alignment and my mileage jumped from 27+ mpg to 31+ mpg. The machine is running like a champ too, very satisfying. I am sure the carb reseal did the most good. The base gasket had a definite leak.

I also resealed the oil filler tube and the metal plate where the EGR valve used to go, so it's hard to say what is doing what, but it's all good. I am even a fairly aggressive driver...but not the obnoxious kind.

On a side note: when that bad gas came through the PNW my mileage instantly dropped from 27 mpg to 22 mpg.

:banana: '81 4WD 4MT ea81 Hatch 263k 13" wheels

Just resealed my Hitachi carb, new fuel filter, new PCV valve, new driver's side wheel bearings, thermostat, and alignment and my mileage jumped from 27+ mpg to 31+ mpg. The machine is running like a champ too, very satisfying. I am sure the carb reseal did the most good. The base gasket had a definite leak.

I also resealed the oil filler tube and the metal plate where the EGR valve used to go, so it's hard to say what is doing what, but it's all good. I am even a fairly aggressive driver...but not the obnoxious kind.

On a side note: when that bad gas came through the PNW my mileage instantly dropped from 27 mpg to 22 mpg.

I went from 28 to 35 by taking off roof racks, increasing tire psi, slowing from 60 to 55mph and gliding down hills. 84 gl wagon

Hi Jerry! I'll be talkin' to you soon about your 1.3 L Weber rebuild.

I went from 28 to 35 by taking off roof racks, increasing tire psi, slowing from 60 to 55mph and gliding down hills. 84 gl wagon

Wow. Is that 2WD or 4WD? 1.6 L or 1.8 L? What kind of fuel delivery system are you using?

Hi Jerry! I'll be talkin' to you soon about your 1.3 L Weber rebuild.

Wow. Is that 2WD or 4WD? 1.6 L or 1.8 L? What kind of fuel delivery system are you using?

1.8 4wd ( select ) with, i believe is a stock Hitachi. I read an article from Ecomodder blog when gas was running 4 dollars about the proper way to drive for max mpg.

basically, get up to speed fast and watch traffic closely to avoid coming to complete stop, glide down hills, take all unecessary weight out of car ( i took out pass seat, and bench seat ) took off roof racks too.

first time I drove like this I got 38 mpg! but it is kind of boring going 50-55 all the time on the freeway. now i average 33-35 mpg

what's so amazing about this is that this car has over 300,000 miles on it.

1.8 4wd ( select ) with, i believe is a stock Hitachi. I read an article from Ecomodder blog when gas was running 4 dollars about the proper way to drive for max mpg.

basically, get up to speed fast and watch traffic closely to avoid coming to complete stop, glide down hills, take all unecessary weight out of car ( i took out pass seat, and bench seat ) took off roof racks too.

Don't mean to brag and this is sort of off topic, but I drive a '93 Impreza wagon and see that kind of mileage without even trying. :rolleyes:

I got a warning ticket for speeding three weeks ago, so I've been very careful and I have to say it paid off. I just filled up and figured out my mileage and it was a whopping 41 mpg!!! It's a '86 Standard, so it should get good gas mileage, but that seemed awesome. I can't wait to see what it gets when it's all fixed up and running perfect.