Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just bought an RS, Shipping recommendations anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

DAS did it again. I just picked up the RS today. It shipped all the way across the country and it looks great!

Although I have all of the service records it's hard to tell if the head gaskets were ever replaced. Is there an easy way to tell by looking?

DAS did it again. I just picked up the RS today. It shipped all the way across the country and it looks great!

Although I have all of the service records it's hard to tell if the head gaskets were ever replaced. Is there an easy way to tell by looking?

Yup, look on the top of the block where they are sticking out. If you see brownish stuff between two layers of metal, those are the originals. If it's multi layer metal, they have been changed. The tabs sticking up look different, but I don't have pics to show right now. There were at least 3 different part number gaskets. The latest update is the only one that lasts.

@subaru360

I must have the original HG's after all:rolleyes: On the passenger side I see one rusty inner layer with a single outer layer separating from each side. I wonder how they have managed to last over 200K? It looks like I'll be doing them, but so far it runs great.

@Durania

I'll put some pictures of it up as soon as we dry out a little bit.