Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Identifying new-style EJ25 Head Gaskets?

I tore down the EJ25 out of my sister's '98 OBW tonight. It was diagnosed by a shop as having a blown HG and had the typical symptoms. Having removed the heads, I looked at the HG's and they look to me like the new style-- at least as I've heard them described. Can anyone help me identify new vs. old? The ones I took off are 3 layers of metal with the middle layer about 2x as thick as the outside layers, and the outside layers have a blackish finish to them. Are the old-style gaskets just one piece? If these are new-style, then it's not the first time the HGs have blown.

I got suspicious when the engine came apart way too easy- even the cam sprocket bolts and the head bolts weren't difficult, which makes me think it's been torn down before. (Unfortunately, I don't have access to any maintenance history.)

in the pic above, on the new style there are 'tabs' that aren't on the old that stick out from the edge of the head. look at the corners, and the other end of the oblong openings, on the right side of the new gasket.

my only question is are those tabs on the top side or bottom of the engine when assembled.

Edited by johnceggleston

The gasket on the right is a second generation gasket, factory installed in many 2.5s. The one on the left is a third generation, currently for sale over the counter at dealerships. Note the difference of... second gen has a bronze/brass rivet (lower left corner of old gasket in pic), third gen has a square stamp in the corners. This identifying mark can be visible under the A/C compressor while engine is in the car.

If you install the gaskets backwards, you'll know fairly quickly as the oil passage will be blocked off to the head and the cams will seize! So, yes, fuji symbol faces out...

As far as up-side-down, that would be tough to do. But it would not surprise me if someone has.:eek:

Edited by MtTech
content