Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Still won't run

:horse: Still can't get my 86 Subaru SW to run. Guess I don't understand how I could drive it into the garage everything running great. Install a heater blower motor and now the thing won't start????? It's not getting gas cuz the carb chamber is empty and none sqirts in when tuning it over and pumping it. As long as it's being primed it almost starts. But as soon as the primed gas is used it quits trying (still turns over).

I've checked the fuses, fusable links and the pump itself worked when hooked up to a 12v battery. I pulled the FPCU out and took it apart and cleaned the relay, tested it by turning the key over and it seamed to work fine. Checked to see if there was power to the pump and only got it for like a second then nothing. Looked for the groung under the back seat couldn't find it. Is that where it's at for the FPCU?

I'm down to just checking the rest of the FPCU like NARU discribed. I probaly would just buy a new or used one instead of messing around but no junk yard around here has one and the Subaru dealer wants 90.00 in advance and they have to order it and they said no return on it. So I would like to know that it's bad before i spend all that cash.

Is there something I could have done to it while installing the heater blower motor? Does any one know any thing that I haven't tryed yet? I'm sick of worken on the thing!!!!!!

There's a big connector under the dash in that area. I forgot to plug it in one time after having my blower motor out and it did the same as yours. It ran for a minute until the carb ran out of gas because the fuel pump wasn't running. I'd start checking there.

Along with checking the connectors you should also check the fuses in the dash and under the hood to make sure that they are all ok. Especially make sure fuses 5,11, and 12 in the dash are good. Also check the voltage on the fuses using a test light probe. If the fuses are ok then make sure voltage is getting to the ignition system. It would also be good to make sure that spark is getting to the plugs.

I'm not sure if the carb engines are the same as the MPFI... but there is a fuel pump wire harness that sometimes gets loose under the hood. It runs on the driver side, by the main engine harness, and it's redish in color if I remember right.

Good luck! Don't give up.

Yaaaaaa!!!! Well wouldn't it figure. My younger brother came by and helped me get it going.

He looked in the carberator and it still wasn't getting gas when turned over. He pulled the fuel line off at the carb and when turned over gas shot out. So he beat on the carb ALOT. Then he pinched off one of the vauume hoses to build up presure. And wa'laa it started. So simple. So I'm not sure if it was something in the lines or maybe the float was stuck. But its going for now. We will see if it starts again tomarrow.

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!!! I would have brought it to the shop without all the help. I hope you'll all be here next time.....Which might be tomarrow CUZ my mom's 1981 SW is acting up. :lol: Ha Ha Isn't that funny. So if I need help I'll check you all.

Feel free to ask!

We're a family here.

And as a preemptive strike I'll offer some suggestions on the carb.

This is a stock hitachi, right?

Check for any crusty hoses or any missing plugs where there are no hoses.

Also, carb cleaner never hurt a carb...

Just make sure the car is off when you apply the carb cleaner.

And also, clean the outside of the carb.

If its really cruddy, it may be sticking something.

Hope it helps!

Twitch