Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am getting ready to do head gaskets on 3 different 2.5l engines, and when i went looking for the tools to lock the cam gears, everyone keeps asking me if it is phase 1 or phase 2. How can i find out for sure which engines they are? The first one is a 1998 legacy Gt wagon that was built in august 1997, the second one is a 1998 legacy that was built in september of 1998, and the last one is a 1999 legacy, that was built in june of 1999. any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

I am getting ready to do head gaskets on 3 different 2.5l engines, and when i went looking for the tools to lock the cam gears, everyone keeps asking me if it is phase 1 or phase 2. How can i find out for sure which engines they are? The first one is a 1998 legacy Gt wagon that was built in august 1997, the second one is a 1998 legacy that was built in september of 1998, and the last one is a 1999 legacy, that was built in june of 1999. any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated.

If they are DOHC they are all Phase I

If they are DOHC they are all Phase I

They are all DOHC, but several sites i have been to list what appear to be two different versions of the same tool, all for DOHC engines, but one version listed says it is only for Phase 1, and the other is only for Phase 2, so maybe the sites i checked just dont know what they are talking about. Thsi site is a perfect example of what i mean, they list 4 different tools, all for DOHC engines.

http://www.automotive-diagnostic-tools.com/category-s/99.htm

If you check the link, the first and third tools are for what they call the phase 1 engine, and the second and fourth are for what they call the phase 2 engine. I called there service dept and that was one of the first questions they asked, was which engine was it.

And SPX Kent Moore lists 4 different cam locking tools, two are for what they call Phase 1, and two are for what they call Phase 2.

Edited by biggman100

Phase 2 motors are single overhead cam.

The one you need for the DOHC 2.5 is the one that has the large hex shped openings in it.

The other bridge type tool I believe is for newer variable timing heads? IDK,

either way, it isn't nessecary. You get WAY better torque on them by holding hte cam directly with a 1" wrench. Just leave the valvecovers off until last thing before installing motor in the car.

Since a lot of people on here and NASIOC have said you dont really need the tools to do the head gaskets, i think what i am going to do is my playtoy first (1998 legacy) and if that turns out right, then ill do my wifes cars, and if it doesnt, then ill see about getting the tools. I just got paranoid about damaging things after reading what endwrench and a few others said about it, since i have never done a DOHC subaru (and with what the shops want to charge, even if i pulled the motor and brought it to them, im stuck doing it myself). My specialty is eagle talon motors.

Don't be afraid of getting the timing off. Take your time and double check the timing marks before you release the grenade pin. I have dons at least a dozen DOHC motors and the only one I had troubel with was the one that I tried to use the special tool for. It literally got in my way. You only use it on one set of sprockets, the ones that are free moving. The other set yare held in place by friction. If you take your time and check your work you will be just fine.

the only one I had trouble with was the one that I tried to use the special tool for. It literally got in my way.

+1

The key here is to remove tension on the belt with the crank pulley timing mark as close to "12:00" as possible. This way the pistons are in the center of their stroke in the cylinder, far away from the valves.