Ultimate Subaru Message Board

0404091624a.jpg

I went to my local Subaru dealer a while back because I was considering financing a new car. Well, the guy just called me back in again to test drive this beautiful '06 Impreza five-speed. They can cut me such a great deal on the car, regarding financing. Even as a student I could keep up with the payments, if only insurance was more affordable...

But still, what a car! I couldn't find a relatively cheap private-sale Subaru and still haven't seen any around, so I got a '92 Saturn SL1. While the Saturn is a decent little car, this Impreza just feels amazing. The sound is wonderful, the shifting and clutch are so precise, the car handles bumps so well! If only I was a woman, just so I could have cheaper insurance. :lol:

Yeah, the funny thing is that they "like" me so much (quotation marks because I've talked with them for a long time, they seem nice but my cynical side says they're only doing that to get me to buy a car), that they lowered the price a bit, would be really generous on my trade-in and have a really sweet financing deal that I could most certainly afford - no doubt about that. Even on my high-school student salary! It's the insurance that is keeping me from this deal. As an eighteen year-old male, it would be somewhere as "low" as $650/month or as high as $975/month! *puke*

My father is considering registering it in his name and putting it under his insurance, that would keep it somewhere affordable. But, alas, it probably won't work out that easily. If only, though. What a fantastic car! :D

I cant imagine why its so high. Its awd which is a safety thing and its not a rs or wrx or sti. Kinda just a little step up from a regular impreza.

Yeah, it's because I'm an eighteen year old male. Progressive wants $650/month and Liberty Mutual wants EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS A MONTH! When I turn 21, it goes down significantly, and by the time I'm 30 I'll be paying less than $200/month for the same car. However, if I were an eighteen year old woman, I could apparently kill someone in a drag race (drag race charge and vehicular homicide charge - same day!) and still pay less than I would now with a clean record. :rolleyes: I play with insurance rates a lot.

However, if they can cut me a really nice deal and I can figure out some more affordable insurance, I might actually consider this car. I shall see. :grin:

Yeah I remember when I bought my first car from a dealer, it was a 97 Impreza L. I was 19 and ins. was 225 a month. It sucked!! Now I'm 24 and have a 2000 RS and ins for my car and my wifes 99 Saturn is about 145 a month. Full coverage on mine and liability on hers

Hmm. From Erie Insurance, I could have my SVX and my mom's 2008 Impala both with collision and good coverage for 100 a month. And I'm 21....you guys must all have a lot of accidents.

I have never had an accident and only one ticket. And I just got the ticket, so the price hasn't changed. It could be because your SVX is older, and a 2008 Impala isn't worth anything after it leaves the lot, so it isn't valued high by the Ins. company.

I have never had an accident and only one ticket. And I just got the ticket, so the price hasn't changed. It could be because your SVX is older, and a 2008 Impala isn't worth anything after it leaves the lot, so it isn't valued high by the Ins. company.
The person driving it has two at fault accidents within the past three years.

My SVX is older, but I'm 21 and it's a rare car. The insurance on them is notoriously high.

Hmm. From Erie Insurance, I could have my SVX and my mom's 2008 Impala both with collision and good coverage for 100 a month. And I'm 21....you guys must all have a lot of accidents.

Nope, no accidents. One ticket a few years ago but it doesn't really affect the cost on any insurance quotes, save a few dollars a year.

I'm still going to consider this deal, if I could get more affordable insurance.

They can do $200/month payments, and if I could register as a driver on my father's insurance, and somehow make the whole shabang be less than $400 a month, I might consider. Not sure it would be that easy, though...

Edited by Bubs360

I'm still going to consider this deal, if I could get more affordable insurance.

They can do $200/month payments, and if I could register as a driver on my father's insurance, and somehow make the whole shabang be less than $400 a month, I might consider. Not sure it would be that easy, thoughl...

No rush. You will be 36 in the blink of an eye. Don't burden yourself with new car payments and insurance. Invest that money now and you can buy it a few times over (cash) in your 30's. Monthly payments are the death of American prosperity.

No rush. You will be 36 in the blink of an eye. Don't burden yourself with new car payments and insurance. Invest that money now and you can buy it a few times over (cash) in your 30's. Monthly payments are the death of American prosperity.

Yeah, I've always said that too. It's just a very tempting offer, I will admit. Especially when they throw all of that zero-percent APR bulls*** and everything else at me. No wonder this country is in financial ruin currently. :lol:

I agree, no hurry. I completely understand the urge to get a nice new car, but I regret getting my first one. I loved the car, but the money I spent for the amount of time I spent it was really sucky!! You could get something really nice for a lot less.

Like I said, this is going to be tough to resist. Basically, they can do $199/month payments and all that zero-percent APR bulls***. I can get it insured for $360/month in my name. So, I could pay for and insure this car for $560 a month. I won't be moving out of the house for another few years, since my tech school is right here in town. The question is, will I be able to pay $560/month in the long run? I know I can work enough to pay for it now, but what if something happens?

Damn. Tough choice. I can pay $560/month but have a car that should have basically zero issues for a long, long time, or I can stay in my oil-burning Saturn.

Guaranteed reliability and payments, or stay with my slow, but possibly reliable old Saturn and have no issues with payments.

newest car i ever had was like always 7 or more years old.

never put full coverage on the cars until my SVX, and its really cheap insurance, at 35, i am glad i never had a car that required full coverage. That allowed me to save for other stuff, no car payments, no big insurance.

The amount of money saved in having liability, has allowed me to grow my herd.

You will be upside-down on that car for 3.5 years at least. There's no such thing as 0%. The price you will pay for that car will be at least 3k more than someone paying cash. That's how they can claim 0%. Plus, if you wait to buy it used in 3 years/36,000 miles the cost will be 10k less. The sales folks only care about a deal TODAY! Not your repo in 8 months.

Edited by 9098

Yeah, I just made the smart choice. The car was $10,900 but it's just not the time for me to own one right now. I've got tech school to worry about. I've got my Saturn and, while not fast, pretty or stylish, will get me around just fine for about a tenth of what that Impreza costs. I'll go to tech school for a few years, drive a crappy car, and get my associate's in the "applied science of automotive technology." I'll be 20-21 by then and insurance will be considerably cheaper - plus I'll have a career going.

This is probally dangerous thinking but ill lay it on you as well. You never know when its your time to go. A friend of mine didnt get his life turned around for the better until 6 months before he died. Finally got the money straightned out, droped a deadbeat chick he was with and lost his bad habbits. And at 55 years old just started putting heaps of cash into his 401k. He died of a heart attack mowing his lawn. I learned something right then and there. I never knew anyone who died before and to watch someone finally start looking at the up and up and then get snatched away was something else. You never know when its your time so my advise is to live. Now im not saying being irresponsable because you need to know your limits. But take car, have fun, do the things you are scared of doing. We just put an offer on a house and its scary, yea its dam scary. But you get one turn in the world and im going to try and live mine the best that i can. If your are passionate about this car, then i say do it. But if its just a car to you then i would pass. You might say its just a car, or a house, or something insignificant and your right they are. But you only get 1 turn. Good luck sir.

That is very true as well - seriously well put. But, I'm satisfied with my Saturn for the time being and the Subaru can wait a few years. I mean, I could do $560/month payments/insurance but it would make things much more stressful. Like, I could trust that car to get me across the country and back time and time again, but could I afford it making those payments right now? Probably not on a student salary.

I mean, if they get an older Impreza for $6,000 with cheaper payments as soon as next week, I may still look into it.

By the way, sorry to hear about your friend passing away...

Edited by Bubs360

I would agree with the live for today outlook when it comes to people but not things. Having both financed and paid cash...nothing feels worse than monthly payments. Mortgage/Student loans excluded (Good vs. Bad debt). He will feel great when he actually holds the title for his first Subaru.

Just my experience.

I would agree with the live for today outlook when it comes to people but not things. Having both financed and paid cash...nothing feels worse than monthly payments. Mortgage/Student loans excluded (Good vs. Bad debt). He will feel great when he actually holds the title for his first Subaru.

Just my experience.

Yeah, I am actually going to be dealing with student loans shortly! I decided to keep driving a lackluster car that I bought with my own money, and worry about having a nice Impreza once I'm older than 20 and have a career going. By then, my insurance ought to be much cheaper as well. The Saturn is not a bad car by any means, I'm just glad I was able to resist the temptation of driving a nice newer car.