Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej swap leaking gas

beans

so since i finished the swap i have been driving the car just around town to make sure i have all the problems out of it.. well i found one.. i drove it today and when i came out of the store it was pouring gas out of the canister. the canister was full of gas. after i shut the car off the pressure slowly when down in the fuel rail and it stopped leaking out.. what could this be.. i know there are some solenoids that could be the cause.. what are your thoughts

that happened with the '86 that I did last fall. there's a vapor separator back near the tank that separates the fuel from the return line and the air for the vent line to the canister. I'm guess the increased flow from swapping from a carbed engine to a MPFI one caused it to piss fuel through the vent line.

I drove it for a couple weeks leaving the gas cap loose (would release the pressure in the tank...), and it fixed it self. after that I could drive it with the cap tight, and it would not push fuel through the canister anymore.

so what you are saying is i should just take the gas cap off but leave it on.. and drive it like that for a week or soo and that should fix it? and do you know why or how that fixes it.. its confusing to me..

that's what worked on mine. someone suggested when I posted about that problem ~6 months ago that the separator was just gummed up because there wasn't much gas flowing through it before, but whatever was blocking it just dissolved in the gas (I added a little seafoam, which probably helped too), and the problem literally cleared itself up!

no guarantees, but it worked for me...it's worth a try. first thing to try is when it is puking gas out, go loosen the cap and see if there's an unusual amount of pressure in the tank. That was the first thing I noticed, when I went to get gas, you could hear a crapload of pressure being released from the tank.