Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My car is a 96 legacy 2.2L 5spd

So my Idle air control valve has been acting up alot and I have been thinking about replacing until I found they wanted 300 for a new one. Basically mine triggers the PO505 CEL. What it does is really high idles when starting ( 3000rpm) then goes to 2000-1500rpm and cycles up and down for a while whenwarming up. Normally after than it idles around 700-800rpm. But sometimes the car just dies at idle. When it does that it will refuse to idle but drive okay and will do forever until I remove the 2 little screws off the top of the electromagnet and pull it off and reseat it. Then it's back to normal.

I have clean the IAC twice and made sure that the lobe turns easy. So is there something I can do to fix the IAC instead of replacing it?

Check this out, says it's for '95 but might still be applicable: 1995 Subaru Legacy - DTC P0505 - Idle Control System Malfunctionhttp://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/1995SubaruInfo.pdf

1995 Subaru Legacy - DTC P0505 -

Idle Control System Malfunction If you encounter a 1995 Subaru

Legacy with a DTC P0505 (Idle Control System Malfunction), check

to see that the wire pins in connector B22 are securely fastened in the connector. If pin 13 (BY) has backed out of the connector, you will lose two

grounds at the ECU.

B22-1996.gif