Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new motor - ej20t or ej22na *NOW EJ20 NA *horsepower??

Hello All.

My 1990 Legacy AWD 5spd needs a new motor. A local JDM importer has crate engines with the ej20t (including turbo) for $300 less than the ej22na.

I know the wiring harness and computer? are diffferent. Is it a workable transplant?

Also, will the ej20t bolt to my 5 spd?

... or should I try to find an ej22t? (rather not spend the $$$ though PK:argue: )

thanks,

What do you use the car for? If it needs to run daily, reliably, you should stick with EJ22. It will fit for sure, and all the sub-systems are designed for that engine. EJ20T or EJ22T would probably spring a few surprises during the install and maybe pose a few problems later along the way.

I would of course, fully understand a swap to a turbocharged engine! I might also be a little bit jealous :D

I am new to the subaru croud, I have a friend that I will be helping do a trany swap on a impriza from an auto to a manual....I think it would be better for him if we did the ej20t swap with a manual trany...I was wondering where can I get a ej20t (like what JDM suplier has the best price) and do any of them have an ecu that comes with the enigne trany package?

Okay, best price and reliability seems best to replace my EJ22 with a JDM EJ20 non-turbo. (supposedly the EJ20 and EJ22 NAs are same SOHC motors and interchangable). I am going to swap motors and keep all my original wiring, intake and exhaust. I understand the transmission fit is fine.

1. Will original wiring work?

2. Will my EJ22 intake and exhaust manifolds BOLT RIGHT UP?

3. Will ECU be fine?

Thank you all. r/PK

p.s. $425 for longblock with 25-40k miles.

p.p.s HP is 122 for the EJ20 and 135 for the EJ22 - hmmm, $350 for 13 hp? still maybe worth it, huh?

• 3 years later...
Okay, best price and reliability seems best to replace my EJ22 with a JDM EJ20 non-turbo. (supposedly the EJ20 and EJ22 NAs are same SOHC motors and interchangable). I am going to swap motors and keep all my original wiring, intake and exhaust. I understand the transmission fit is fine.

1. Will original wiring work?

2. Will my EJ22 intake and exhaust manifolds BOLT RIGHT UP?

3. Will ECU be fine?

Thank you all. r/PK

p.s. $425 for longblock with 25-40k miles.

p.p.s HP is 122 for the EJ20 and 135 for the EJ22 - hmmm, $350 for 13 hp? still maybe worth it, huh?

was this seriously the last post in this thread?

where are you getting these engines from pk?

what pistons did they put in the ej20 to run enough compression for a n/a 2.0l?

wooohooo dug up another post!

the subaru kid

-Dalton

NO No No and...NO!

exhaust bolting right up. no

ecu...no

wiring harness...no.

go to a junk yard and get a used 2.2L with a broke timing belt and do alittle work and spend about 200 bucks.

JMO

WRONG, WRONG, and WRONG...

n/a ej20 will bolt directy to the ej22 exhaust

the ecu will run it fine. people are running ej25's off stock ej22 ecu's everyday...

wiring... use the original ej22 wiring and sensors, there will be NO problem.