Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We just ditched my wife's 99 chrysler minivan for an '05 Forester 2.5x, just over 30kmiles.

After driving it, I have to say-

- it's very tight and handles nicely

- glad I have a 3.0 in my OBW

- why can't my OBW have headlights as good as the forester?

Dave

awesome!

maybe they just need cleaned/buffed (read threads about that, you've probably seen them), or adjusted?

No, the '03 OBW headlights just have a coupla fatal flaws.

One of which is that the low beam stays on when the high-beams come on, a big no-no, since the 'nearby bright light' washes out the faint returning light from far away.

Another is that the high beams have a very sharp cutoff not that far above the road, so if you are going downhill and coming up to an uphill, the uphill is dark. This also compromises using trees, etc. as cues as to where the road is.

The forester lights properly cut the lowbeam filament off when turning on the highbeams, and has a nice vertical pattern.

Along with real fog lights (that can come on anytime, not just with low headlights), at least cutting off the low beams when on high beam is on my 'mods list'.

Dave

Congrats on the second Subaru.

My Husband is finally starting to like mine ( after dealing with me for 3 years LOL) cause he has been using my 95 Legacy wagon while his Toyota truck is broke down. And he isnt rushing to fix his truck. ( I knew I could convert him!)

As for the headlights...I think my Legacy is alot like your OBW ..My 08 Impreza I dont have issues with seeing at night but the Lego I do..I added driving lights and it seems to help a good bit ( depends if they are legal in your state)

Congrats on the second Subaru.

My Husband is finally starting to like mine ( after dealing with me for 3 years LOL) cause he has been using my 95 Legacy wagon while his Toyota truck is broke down. And he isnt rushing to fix his truck. ( I knew I could convert him!)

As for the headlights...I think my Legacy is alot like your OBW ..My 08 Impreza I dont have issues with seeing at night but the Lego I do..I added driving lights and it seems to help a good bit ( depends if they are legal in your state)

Driving lights are legal as long as they are covered and not used while on the road... that said, I have no qualms about using driving lights that turn off automatically when I hit the low-beams. Just have to figure out what I want, and find the time.

The headlights are adequate for interstate driving, but in the hinterlands (where I live) the extra seeing distance will help keep my car undented and the local fauna alive.

Dave