Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I blew up my pristine 1990 EJ22 with less than 100k through a very, very stupid 3 second mistake which I posted on this forum about a year ago. I have finally pulled the engine, and will post pics of the destruction soon.

Subaru engines this old aren't easy come by on a Texas island, but I have found a 1995 2.2 liter up in Dallas.

I do not have time for rebuilds, modifications, etc. Can anyone tell me--Will I be able to drop the 1995 engine in, no problem? Are all bolt positions/wiring the same? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

i just noticed subieman posted this about a similar question:

"The intake manifold may be able to be swapped over to the "new block, but depending of the port layout of the heads, you may not be able to.

The exhaust ports chaned in 1995. the earlier EJ22's had dual exhaust ports feeding the Y pipe headers. Post-95 EJ22's had single port headers. a bit of cutting, flaring and welding may let you adapt the headers."

Why would I need to change over the intake manifold? I guess I will need to look at the 95 EJ22 to see if it has dual exhaust ports, as my 90 does.

The 95 engine will work fine in the 90 legacy. Both use dual port exhaust (3 bolts) Use the complete intake manifold and all sensors from the original engine. If the new engine has an egr valve just plug the hole in the back of the cylinder head where the egr pipe goes.