Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cleaned Battery Post Now Lights going Crazy

I pulled off the positive battery cable and cleaned the post and the clamp on my 98 Legacy Outback 2.5. Hooked the cable back up and noticed that my front turn signals were going on and off, got in car and dash is doing same thing in time with the front and rear turn signals. What did I do???

You set off the alarm.

Hit the reset button under the dash.

Subaru safety feature/alarm. Let them start and drive the car - but blink the 4ways SLOWLY.

I'd actually like to hear the official reason why they use this method.

Well long storey short, got it fixed. Like you said, davebugs, pretty sure it was the alarm system. Didnt hit the reset button. Put cable back on loosely to get car out and get motorcycle to go get battery for remote. Must not have had strong enough connection with putting cable on and not tightening, car wouldnt start, went out moved wire to get better connection and still nothing, did this 2 more times, finally tightened cable and car started and no lights on and off. Could cycling key off and on reset it somehow?? Pulled car out and off to side case I have to drive the truck in the morning.

Thanks for help!!

• 1 year later...

This same thing just happened to me. Thank you so much for your answers. I thought I was being smart cleaning my own battery cables, and then my lights freaked! I did the key cycling in the order ShawnW suggested and lights have shut off. Muchas gracias, amigos!

We should get a sticky on this subject. Seems like a lot of posts about flashing lights after battery disconnects and recharges etc.

I personally posted a few replies to reconnect the battery with the key in the on position after the battery has been disconnected.

It seems it is almost as popular as the virgin switch. :grin:

Do you have this type of key button

codealarmremote2.jpg

Or this type

subarualarm1.jpg

The former will have a really annoying siren, that's probably disconnected on your car. And turning the ignition on and off WILL NOT make the flashing lights stop.

The latter will just honk the horn and turning the ignition on and off 5 times will make it stop.