Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Manual Trans. Interchangeability- '98 OBW

I'm looking at a '98 Outback Limited wagon with a 5 spd. that's noisy (202k miles). Local Suby dealership says it's going bad. Anyway, I was looking for a used one and car-part.com seems to indicate that the ONLY one that will work is from another '98 Outback wagon. Anyone had any experience with this? I know that '97 and later have a hydraulic clutch, but are there other differences too? I'm sure any '95 and newer will bolt up, but is the diff. gearing different for '98 only?

Not sure on the interchangeability... however, 202k seems awfully low for a manual transmission to be having issues. Have you changed the fluid? Was there metal in the fluid when it was changed? I've never heard of the outback transmissions having early failure, so it just seems a little odd that they said it was worn out.

I don't have the car yet, but I did drive it and the noise varied with where the clutch pedal was- I can't remember now whether putting the pedal all the way IN eliminated the noise, or letting it out all the way-- I think putting it in. I suggested to the seller that it sounded like the TO bearing and he said the dealership said no, it was internal to the tranny. He also said they told him that Subaru transmissions are "sealed" and cannot be repaired- a load of BS, but I can see where a dealership would rather replace a tranny with 202k than try to repair it.

search trannychart and you'll find which trans are exactly likle yours. as long as the final drive ratio is correct it will work.

as far as the type of clutch, the trans case has the acommodation for either, you just have to move the fork and swap the parts to the new trans. or some thing like that.

search for a post telling about this, it has pics. maybe by grossgary?

Edited by johnceggleston

i asked about it but never got a confirmation on hydraulic/cable clutch swapping. i've seen both and think it would be doable but i don't know that it's a bolt on conversion.

you are not at all limited to a 98 only. just match the final drive and clutch operation (cable/hydraulic) and you're golden.

yours has a hydraulic clutch? if so, then any hydraulic clutch trans with matching final drive will work.

if the 4WD works good, remove the VC unit from the old trans in case you ever get torque bind.

depending what's going on, it might not be the trans, though if the dealer said it was you would think it is (unless they thought the person would just buy another subaru!?!?!). sometimes manual trans can last a long time with internal noises, depending what's going on.