Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys. My name is Jeff and I am up in Canada. The wife and I own a 98 Legacy outback Limited. This is our second. We replaced the 97 with this car after totalling it.

Anyways the transmission is doing some funny things. I had the fluid changed in it thinking it would remedy the problem but it has not.

The upshift from 2-3 is hesitant going into 3 after kicking out of 2. also when trying to accelerate from a coast the car seems to not get the power to the pavement. It is as if the engine is trying to push but no acceleration. Then about 2 seconds later it feels as if it is grabbing and the car startes to accel.

Torque converter? tranny going?

If it is a tranny where the hell can i find a list of the trannys that I can cross reference so i can track a wrecked car down to harvest for parts.

Thanks very much.

It sounds like the tranny is failing. You can use a tranny out of another outback 96-99. That way the gear ratios will match. You should also be able to use a tranny from a forrester as long as it also has the 2.5 DOHC motor.

Good Luck

Thanks for both posts guys. I would take care of it myself but I am recovering from hernia surgery so I will just take it in.

yeah yeah I know, I got so many things on the go right now. Rebuilding a 2.4L for my race car, and doing a complete upgrade, and landscaping the backyard....

i doubt it will help, but you might try a $6 bottle of trans-x a/t fluid additive. it helps the 'slow engage' on the 99 auto trans, but that is usually a seal leaking problem. your trans is probably on the way out.

you can use any auto trans from a 2.5L legacy, (outback, gt, lsi) 96 - 98 (a few, very very very few, 99s) as long as the trans part number starts with TZ102Z2........ it will work and match your rear differiential.

good luck.

http://www.car-part.com

i doubt it will help, but you might try a $6 bottle of trans-x a/t fluid additive. it helps the 'slow engage' on the 99 auto trans, but that is usually a seal leaking problem. your trans is probably on the way out.

you can use any auto trans from a 2.5L legacy, (outback, gt, lsi) 96 - 98 (a few, very very very few, 99s) as long as the trans part number starts with TZ102Z2........ it will work and match your rear differiential.

good luck.

www.car-part.com

Good advice John, I would try the additive also ,their is nothing to lose. And the number on the transmission is the correct way to find the right one.

good luck.

www.car-part.com

FYI: added note, if you use a trans other than your model, outback, your speedo will be off 3 - 5%.