Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Water Leak???

So I replaced my head gasket on the passanger side and got it all back togather and water leaks from what it seems like the intake manifold??

When I squeez on the tube coming off the radiator it leeks like right behind the manifold somewhere it drips into the spark plug holes 1,3. The engine runs great and there's no water getting into the oil so I'm pretty sure that I did my gaskets right. And I did put a gasket between the head and the intake manifold. what could be leaking?

Engine-EA82T Car-XT

Thanks for all suggestions.

You may not have sealed up the intake gasket on that side. I always use Ultra Black on gaskets that seal coolant passages. You can buy it at any automotive store.

There is also another gasket to check.

There is a coolant passage that runs along the back of the intake that has a gasket on either side of the intake. If you look, it'll look like a flat piece of pipe that runs along the back of the intake. There are two bolts on each side. Unfortunately it's kinda difficult to remove and seal without taking the whole intake off.

I know it's a pain but you should take the intake off again and check both of these possibilities. I've had the same kinda issue on my XT and it was the coolant passage i explained.

For the most part I really don't like RTV. Properly prepared mating surfaces rarely need it and the OEM gaskets don't call for it for a reason (they are graphite impregnated and the RTV defeats the purpose). Especially in places that can come into contact with gasoline as RTV melts when exposed to gas.

It's great for turning cork gaskets into psudo-rubberized gaskets as the biggest problem with the cork is that over time it absorbs oil, which eventually carbonizes and turns the gasket to an oily, hard, shrunken mess. RTV stops the absorbtion of oil and provides a decent sealing surface so it's great for that.

GD