Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ej swap: Stuck on a wire

lilpusher

:mad: ok so I 've got a 98 legacy 2.2L going into a 92 loyale. It cranks, the fuel pump primes, won't start, (haven't checked spark yet) here is the thing I'm stuck on there is a wire shown on the front page of the legacy wiring diagram that starts at (ST ig sw) runs to starter interlock, N. Pos. S/W, ecu pins 82 ,75, 17, and 18. then it finally goes through engine wiring harness to an indirect ground (whatever that means.) so I didn't like the idea of having starter circuit voltage going through the computer. I put in a fuse and its constantly blowing during cranking. I wired it into one of the two ignition sw wires that is hot only during cranking (st position) My first thought is why is a starter voltage carying wire running through the computer and straight to ground with no load ( explains blown fuses ). Any ideas I'm completely stumped.

thanks

couple things going on here. first, the pins you listed are not all on the same circuit. study the diagram again. 17 and 18 are grounds, simple as can be. should be entirely independent from 82.

75 should also be a ground (although it's not listed on the pinout....something to do with the traction control system)

82 is the neutral switch. if you study the diagrams, you'll probably notice that a number of the wires are marked (AT) or (MT). this is because the polarity of the neutral start switch is different depending on what kind of trans is attached to it. so the diagram gets kinda confusing. simple version is: assuming you've got pin 81 grounded (telling it that it's hooked up to a manual), 82 should be grounded when the trans is in neutral. this is entirely optional, but the ECU will throw a code if it isn't hooked up.

ok seperated those wires as stated and still stuck at crank no start. Any chance I may have cooked the ECM? Oh and a word to the wise :

this is why you don't by an engine without a full wiring harness to swap over and when the recycler hands you the Ecm with about a foot of wires hanging off it like some crazy rats nest.... tell him where to stick it !!! :mad:

Building harnesses is the fun part. I'm assuming you have no spark, or no ECU control. First thing to do is if you have a ODB2 connector is to try and get codes out of it. If not, try checking all the powers and grounds to the ecu again. If that's all good, check for power to the fuel injectors or coil or something, see if the ECU is distributing that power.