Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 sub outback: brake lights, how do i...

i have a sub outback wagon and now one of my brake lights (passenger side) is out. there is another brake/parking light (driver's side) that is also out but that one is located on the hatch and is easy to get to, got that bulb, but that's not my prblem. it's the brake llight on the passenger side that's located on the corner of the car. i climber in the back and took off the covering from the inside but instead of seeing the bulb outlets, i just saw the metal frame of the car. there was a bolt sticking out. i assumed that this was what is holding the whole taillight piece to the car. i'm assuming that if i unscrew the nut from the bolt it should slide out and i should be able to take off the whole taillight piece and get to the bulb that's burned out. right? i haven't done anything yet. i figure i'd ask first before i start taking things apart. any help would be much appreciated. i got inspection this month and those are the only two things that would fail the inspection.

There are a couple of nuts, the only hard part is not dropping them taking them off, and getting them started again without dropping 'em.

I have a 1/4 drive socket set that grabs the nuts pretty well. You could also place a small magnet in the socket- get it loose with a deep socket, get it near the end, then switch to a short socket with a magnet in it.

Dave

I have never had to any tail light bulb replacements like you just said but I believe you are on the right track. Probably no external screws on it correct? Just have to take that nut off as you said and it should reveal itself.

yes, that's what i HOPE happens, i just want to know if i'm on the right track with the taillight housing and pulling it off, there aren't any external screws, just that one bolt, i just don't want to pull it all out and end ripping wires out, i'll check the manual to see what it says, i thought i might find a thread that might have a step by step how to on this showing pics, thanks for the inputs!

[...]there aren't any external screws, just that one bolt, i just don't want to pull it all out and end ripping wires out, i'll check the manual to see what it says, i thought i might find a thread that might have a step by step how to on this showing pics, thanks for the inputs!

There are two nuts that have to be removed. In order to access them, you'll need to remove both the upper and lower service covers. Once the nuts are removed, the lamp assembly has to be pulled straight back to release it. I could provide the rest of the details, but the owner's manual has the info in the ''Maintenance and service'' section.