Ultimate Subaru Message Board

upgrading wheels

i have an 85 brat, no lift, stock. I want to put some bigger wheels on it to give it a little more aggressive look without lifting it. I am planning on doing a 6 lug conversion and bought a set of rims that would have been perfect except that they were way too deep (10"). now i have to sell them on craigslist, luckily they were only 40 bucks so i should be able to get rid of them fairly quickly. the guy i bought them from was in awe of the brat by the way. haha. anyhow sorry for the ramble but what is a good depth to a rim that maybe will stick out an inch or so but still be totally legal without fender flares or anything like that?

Honestly, without flaring the fenders, you should probably keep your wheels to only 6-7" wide with about 4-5" negative offset (hub is closer to the OUTSIDE of the wheel). The hubs on Subarus are set up for "dished" wheels, with the wheel hub almost as far out as the outside edge of the wheel. You dont want to put the outer edge much past a couple inches outboard of the mounting flange. If you run wider wheels and more offset, that's more wheel inside the wheel well and it will be closer to the inner fender, and probably rub when you turn. Wider wheels with LESS offset will stick out farther and lead you to need flares, as well as probably rubbing on the outer fender. I wouldnt run much wider than 6" wheels on a stock body, but I dont really have a lot of "applied" experience... Maybe someone else has been there and done it with something wider...

Hope this helps!

88RxTuner

I may have it backwards, and be mistaken about positive/negative offset...and If I am, Thanks for correcting me. But in any case, the hub of the wheel needs to be closer to the outside of the rim.

If you have a 6" wide wheel, I should think there will be at least 4" between the INBOARD edge of the rim and the hub of the wheel.

Sorry for the mistake, and I hope this helps!

88RxTuner

Possibly.. but I think the Frontiers have the hubs set too far inboard, and if these fit the Frontier then they may stick out too far on your Subaru.

Definitely worth checking out, though.. Email the guy and have him measure the depth of the back of the wheel, from the inside edge of the rim to the hub.. if it's close, get them, cause that's a screaming deal on some nice wheels. Pictures dont definitely show what the offset is, though.

88RxTuner

as said, you dont want much to bring them out the arches,

i have 16 X 6 rims with not alot of offset, but i just got luck on that, was the last set of these wheels in stock

way05072008082.jpg

dth05072008087.jpg

pretty much how they sit, front ones seem to stick out more slightly than the rears

same rolling radious as standard, cause of 205/45/16's and no arch rubbage on standard height, and very little being dropped 40mm, hope this sheads a bit of light at what your looking at