Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 ea81 carb diagnosis?

symptoms: crappy idle, hard starting, doesnt go up to high rmps as most subarus do at start up, when you push the accelerator it bogs.

Before swapping out the carb, are there any other things to look at first. I havent pulled the air cleaner yet but I assume it is a Hitachi carb.

Any suggestions or links to Hitachi re-build/diagnosis would be appreciated.

I think the best way to approach your problem would be to use the "search"...this topic has been covered for years and I think the general view here would be that once the carb goes bad,(if in fact that is your problem?) it is time to ditch it and install a weber or go FI

GD has a great carb writeup for the older cars. If you don't have the cars history, its gonna be daunting. Its usually a mix of all the parts. Hoses clogged or leaking, disty misfiring, O2 sensor shot, cat clogged, gaskets leaking, filters clogged, wires busted, vacuum solenoids not actuating, ect. Then the carb. You could get lucky, and the timings off.

The USRM is pretty cool. :rolleyes:

What they said...if you know carbs, then you can probably rebuild the Hitachi and get it dialed in alright, along with new vac hoses. If not, it's hardly worth the time. I spent a lot of time getting mine figured out and it runs great now, but most people don't have the time or patience for it (for good reasons). Also, many of them are just worn out, or are feed back models, and a rebuild will only give you marginal improvements. To me it was like a Japanese puzzle box that I couldn't let go without figuring it out. Kinda depends on your skills, free time, and dollar amount you are willing to spend.