Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which EJ22 will fit in a 1998 Impreza

hobbes95

1996-1998 EJ22's from any impreza or legacy.

Make sure if yours has EGR (it should), the replacement does as well. There are very rare cases of Ej22's not having EGR's, but there's no way to tell without looking as i've seen the exact same car (color even) have both.

99% of them have EGR so it's not a very big deal.

Simplest way is to just swap the long blocks, keep your intake manifold. Not for any complicated reason, just keeps things simple, like vacuum hoses and charcoal canister hoses. And there were two cruise control set ups - again not a big deal, very simple stuff, but simpler to bolt your intake on an engine than swap an intake.

90-94 auto's did not have a EGR, but ALL 95-99 auto's do have a EGR

and my 96 impreza with a 2.2 and 5sp was non-EGR, i went through the yard right now and looked at EVERY manual car and none from 95-99 have a EGR. i work at a subaru wrecking yard... so if we want i can get pictures...

ALL 95-99 auto's do have a EGR
doesn't matter, but that's not true. i've already explained it a few posts back for anyone that needs the truth on the matter.

EVERY manual car and none from 95-99 have a EGR.
there's plenty of manual trans cars with EGR. "most", or "most in your area", or something like that might not have them, but i've seen MT EJ22's that do have EGR. i picked up a 97 legacy L EJ22 less than a year ago with EGR and I know others on this board have some as well.

Well i found a 97 ej22 and it had egr. I just used my intake manifold and had to plug one hole and everything else fit. I got the engine in last night and it is running great.

woah nice hit! this guy works fast. awesome!

dave - all EJ18's i've seen have EGR, have you seen any that don't? I haven't really been around many of them.

that's why i mentioned "most in his area", maybe there's something about location going on.

Edited by grossgary

I've only experienced one 1.8 in a 95 Impreza SW. I bought it by accident. It now has a new timing belt and Subaru clutch.

Otta get terrific mileage with the 5 speed. Wish it would sell. It's been around too long. I don't plan on learning much about 1.8's.

But I still say that all the 96 and up 2.2 and 2.5's that I've ever seen or worked on have had an EGR. Not that I claim to be an expert but I've seen my share. I think it would be hard to be a regional thing with them made in the same factories but then again they could be built for emissions expectations for the market they were originally shipped to.

But I never realized all 1.8's had EGR. That's actually a bit curious.

all 1.8's have EGR's, buy whatever im sorry you like to keep spreading missinformation.
no one said that EJ18's don't have EGR? :confused:

"misinformation" is uncalled for, particularly considering you have written the most incorrect comment in the thread.

Edited by grossgary