Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hill-Holder Flatland Lockups

After a brief stop at a neighbors, my '03 Forester (with a five-speed manual) locked-up--- only a few houses down. By the time I walked down to check it out, she started up and drove home like nothing happened.

Another test drive and it locked up again, no go forward or back... like brakes applied.

I immediately suspected the Hill-Holder, or what I call the "lurch and stall feature".

Early on, I bought a service manual and looked into what makes it tick, a rolling ball in the brake system, so, thinking there might be dirt in the fluid, I flushed it out. It was OK for three or four days, but today it locked-up in a level parking lot.

I popped the hood and grabbed the cable at the H-H mechanism. There was lots of slack in the cable as if the return spring was not bringing the actuator arm home. I'll inspect it again tomorrow, maybe the fix is as easy as lubing the pivot, but is the H-H supposed to activate on level ground?

If dirty fluid could still be the culprit, I don't mind flushing again, but I may not be on the right track.

Does disabling by disconnecting the cable take a stuck ball out of the equation?

Replacing the mechanism is not in the budget right now, and the manual makes mention about the brake system needing some kind of dealer scan, adding to the potential cost, if air is introduced into the system, as I assume it would be while replacing this part.

By the way, my wife likes the H-H feature, so I'll need to repair it at some point.

Thanks,

JW

Dang, that was quick, nipper--- much obliged.

I searched this forum before posting, but didn't turn up much technical.

I'll check your link, pronto.

Thanks,

JW

29 days of rain out the last 30, i dont have anything else to do :P

hehehehe

Perfect graphic and text on The End Wrench PDF, nipper.

As long as the lever is in the "clutch engaged" position the push-rod allows fluid past and prevents the ball from sealing the passage and trapping pressure in the line.

Thanks for helping me dodge that bullet.

JW

P.S. We could use a little of that out here, if you could spare a few buckets!

Edited by quazi

Perfect graphic and text on The End Wrench PDF, nipper.

As long as the lever is in the "clutch engaged" position the push-rod allows fluid past and prevents the ball from sealing the passage and trapping pressure in the line.

Thanks for helping me dodge that bullet.

JW

P.S. We could use a little of that out here, if you could spare a few buckets!

7 inches in a month where we normally get 2 inches, and the month aint over yet. you should see my poor peppers.

Glad it worked.

I'd like to know if it happens ALL the time? Or just when you Reverse, brake to stop, then 1st forward? My suspiscion and the far more common occurance is the later. The backwards momentum stoping acts to roll the checkball to the back of the chamber as if on a hill. Something to consider, if you simply double clutch in that situation when you shift to first, it won't happen. You're hillholder should NEVER operate from a standstill on level ground or a downhill.

However, If you're hillholder is working on level ground, even from a standstill, you have one of 2 issues. Really it's the same issue, but depends on why.

1. The valve body is at the wrong angle and needs a shim under the rear bolt to *level* it out, or even point it slightly *nose down*. Is it possible the bracket and valve where bent or repositioned during a clutch job or some other work? Sometimes they where just set up too close to the limit from factory. Subaru makes a specific shim but a washer works fine.

2. The rear of the vehichle is saggin, effectively acting as if on an uphill. I see this particularly on the early outbacks as their springs age. If you're Forrester is riding low, then this my be the culprit.

Either condition can be solved by the washer under rear bolt if you don't want to replace springs.

Proper cable tension is also essential to making the action happen at the right point for the clutch engagement. Too tight, the brakes won't release unitil too late, and you will get stalls. Too loose on the cable, and brakes will release before the clutch engages, and you will get rolling back.