Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Really stuck half shaft. Ideas or a used part?

Hi Guys,

1994 Legacy wagon. I replaced the passenger side halfshaft a month ago. Took about an hour. Now, working on the drivers side, the shaft will not come out. I tried the hammer routine first. Sprayed with lots of liquid wrench. No luck, just damage to the end of the old shaft. Took the spindle housing and halfshaft out of the car together. Brought them to the auto parts store to see if a hub puller would get it out. Tool connected good but the halfshaft wouldnt budge. The threads on the tool started to strip and the parts guy asked to stop. I took my torch to it suspended between 2x4s on my sawhorses, hit with my hammer: stuck. Hit it with a 5 lb. maul: still stuck and mushrooming shaft end. Hit it with a 10 lb. sledge: still stuck and really flat mushroomed shaft end. See the attached pictures of what I'm dealing with and what I think I need.

So, I think I'll need to get a new/used spindle housing/hub bearing assembly. Anybody got any other ideas?

Anybody have a parts car that they could ship me the whold assembly, minus the half shaft. Zip code is 95472. I'm going to post this in the marketplace also. If you can help with a used part ASAP, please give me a call at (707) 829-3826.

Thanks.

Keith

post-376-136027633876_thumb.jpg

post-376-136027633883_thumb.jpg

post-376-136027633885_thumb.jpg

I have the same thing sitting out back from my 92SS. driver side front, would not budge even with a press. its seized......

I found a good one at a junkyard, axle was new, and hub was good. installed it. The thing is, my axle on the seized one just needs a boot.

Try the press. Might be toast though. I had one on a GM product so seized that the hub bent, the knuckle bent and the presses plates were bending.

At least you were planning on replaceing the axle allready. I would do a wheel bearing too if you get it apart.