Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brought (took?) my '99 OBW to a shop to have the "transmission serviced". They had indicated that the trans pan was leaking so I might as well... Then they decided it was the "tail shaft gasket" since the leakage was nearer to the back of the trans pan. This more than doubled the cost of the replacement. I just took the car back (cost me $40 for the re-look).

So:

1. is there a more definitive way to decide "trans pan or tail shaft" gasket?

2. is this a job that can be tackled in the driveway?

3. Advice?

thanks

later,

Peter

To replace the gasket between the extension housing and the transmission case, I understand one needs to drop the exhaust and underbody heat shield, and disconnect the driveshaft. Is that what they did?

Just yesterday, I re-tightened for the second time the pan screws on my '95. It uses a gasket which hardened over time and will need to be replaced. A 1999 model should use sealant, so the leak may indeed be from elsewhere. Previously, I had a leak from the banjo bolt connection for the cooling line on the side of the transmission. The only tool that can reach that bolt, which faces the driveline tunnel, is a 19 mm offset box wrench. Fluid from that leak, too, would show at the rear edge of the pan.

yes it is "sealant" vs. "gasket" on the '99. Two 2nd opinions> 1. sealant sits for 4-6 hours before refilling the trans fluid.

or

B. sealant goes on & the fluids in... all done in an hour or so.

(btw... same question arises regarding the valve cover gaskets, also leaking).

OPINIONS PLEASE!

also, one of the 2nd opinion shops put it on a lift/CLEANED THE AREA (which dickwad 1 didn't do) & pointed to a spot where the sealant wasn't oozing from the pan & figured that was the leak.

Thinking, let them do the valve cover gaskets & I'll do the trans pan sealant when I get home in a couple of weeks... that job looks pretty straight forward.

later,

Peter

& thanks, gentlemen!!!!

Get your car the hell out of there.

General rule of thumb, If you were not complaing about a leak, it wasnt affecting performance, there is no rush or need to do anything. That wet spot could have been there for many many miles.

I would just monitor the leak as it may be such a slow leak there is no reason to touch it. The tranny pans whenever they are removed, if not done right, can leak far worse then the original leak ever was.

Try tightening the valve covers first, as they can work loose over time and cause leaks. Do the valve covers yourself. You may want to do plugs at the same time. For the vavle covers use subaru parts and bucket gromits.

nipper